Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot XP/7 query

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

When support for XP ended I wanted to know if my older Dell would run Windows 7. After running the advisor I determined it would but I would have to track down a couple of drivers.

A friend offered up his Windows 7 disk and I installed it on a fairly small partition (30 GB) on a 80 Gb storage drive. Except for activating because his license is of course in use I have run it with no problems for the past couple of weeks.

Now I have purchased my own copy.

I want to install it on a partition on the same drive that XP is on because it is a bit roomier (Xp first then 7), I will also keep XP as there are some programs/software  that I have purchased that I do not wat to buy again.

My question is what do I do about his Windows 7? Do I just install mine on my partion and format the partition his is on for it to go away? Do I get rid of his first?

The copy I purchased is an OEM, his is full version. Can I use his for the install BUT use my code? It's my understanding that the full versions have more bells and whistles when it comes to drivers. Or does it not matter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Where ever you go.................. There you are

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Delete the install that you won't be using...first.

Disconnect any drives other than the optical drive and the hard drive that you intend to install your System Builder version of Win 7.

Make the optical drive the first bootable device in the BIOS.

Insert the Win 7 DVD into the optical drive.

Power up the system, watch the screen...hit any key to reflect that you want to boot from the optical drive.

The DVD will recognize your XP install as existing and will begin installation procedures for Win 7 by asking you onscreen questions requiring actions.  It will create a partition, format said partition (don't do the quick partition option), and then install Win 7 files.

Detail data at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html , Option One.

Louis

#3 klink1956

klink1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thank you for your reply Louis. When I "delete " the old 7 install should I literally delete the folder or pave over the whole partition by formatting it?

Thanks again

Bob

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Deleting the partition is the way that I would go...it serves no purpose, the files have no value, the room can be used for something else.

Louis

#5 klink1956

klink1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

Thank you sir

#6 hamluis