Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

I just spent a grand on building a new computer and someone told me to do a BIOS update which I never done before so what could go wrong and should I do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

A LOT!!!!  Research it before hand, no question it may be good and needed.  What MB do you have?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

As this is a new computer with, presumably, a new mobo then the BIOS built into it should be fairly current and is unlikely to need updating.

However, your first point of call should be the manufacturer's web-site to see if there are any updates and what recommendations they make about them. Usually these updates are released to fix known hardware problems and you only need them if you are having such problems. As an example, they might have discovered a problem with a particular video card being recognised. If your computer is starting and running normally, I wouldn't worry too much. As OldPhil has said, it is an operation that can go wrong.

Remember, the BIOS is there purely for starting up the computer and once it has started it plays no further roll. So, if your computer is starting normally, then leave well alone. I think I have only updated a BIOS once and that was because a sound card I fitted called for it before it would work properly.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

After 10 hours of trouble shooting I found out that the Sapphire R7 260x video card was causing my power options to Not work.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:48 AM

What could go wrong is that you brick your motherboard and have to replace it. You should only update the bios if you have a reason to (like some problem that a new bios version fixes)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

Like I posted earlier do the research, many times a BIOS update is needed for a particular hardware function.  The newer MB boards are much easier to work with than boards of a few years back.  I would inquire too both the board and card venders to see if in fact an update is needed.  I have have items that refused to work before an update that worked perfectly afterwards.

An easy read:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsb/p/bios.htm

Edited by OldPhil, 21 October 2014 - 11:21 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users