Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with internet access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Not a problem, but more of a concern. Recently, I had the ResNet people at my university mess around with my laptop to try and fix a problem with my internet access in my dorm. Before this happened, whenever I was in a public area, the symbol where my internet access icon was would show the normal bars to represent how strong the internet connection was. After these ResNet people messed around with my laptop, there's always a red X in front of the icon is. I'm still able to connect to the internet, but I'm just wondering if this is a problem. How can I fix it. I'm paranoid that this red X might affect downloads in public areas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

What icon are you referring to?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

On the far right of the taskbar. It's the icon that shows bars when connected to wi-fi. Whenever I'm in a public area on campus, there's a red X in front of the bars. However, I'm still able to connect to the internet.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

You have not posted what operating system you are running, this might help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using Windows 7. Again, I'm able to access the internet on a wi-fi connection, but there is always an X over the icon. I'm worried this might affect my downloads. I'm able to download fine, but I'm worried that when I backup my new files onto my external hard drive, my old files on my external hard drive will become corrupted or something. Is this a possibility?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Click on the Start orb, then type devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box and press Enter.

Is there a red X shown there?  This would be in the Network adapters.

#7 silentmonolith

silentmonolith

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Sometimes I do get the same "problem" - I bridged the Ethernet connection with the WIFI one in order for my printer to be network capable. Sometimes I do get the red X as well but my Internet is working fine.

I'm assuming they did something similar? Bridged your Wifi with the Ethernet card or installed VPN or related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users