Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Few questions about buying a new laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

1) I have a a few external hard drives that I haven't checked on in over a year due to problems with my current laptop Because I haven't check on them, should I connect my hard drives to my damaged laptop before I connect them to my new laptop, or does this matter. I worried that because I'm connecting my new laptop to my hard drives that haven't been used in over a year, my data could become corrupted or something.

2) When buying a new laptop, does it matter WHERE you install programs onto it. What I mean is does it matter if you install programs on a new laptop in a public area (library for example), in an apartment complex, or in your own home? Currently, I'm living on campus at my University and will be buying a new laptop. Will it matter if I install programs using the internet in my dorm room? My university has this thing where you need to install this file on your laptop to gain access onto the internet. I worry about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

1.  Connecting the drives to the new computer will not affect the data that is on them.  However, if your current machine is infected then it is possible that the drives may infect your new machine.

2.  Where you install your software isn't that much of an issue, provided the Windows firewall is up and running.  The Windows firewall has been turned on by default since Windows XP Service Pack 2.

#3 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

1) My current machine doesn't have any viruses or anything. I have a paid anti-virus software installed. I'm just worried that because I haven't checked my external hard drives for so long, when I connect them to my new laptop, some problems might occur. Are you sure this won't be an issue?

2) So it's OK to install programs on my new laptop on a wi-fi connection anywhere on campus?

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

The drives will work the same on the old or new laptop. There's no additional problem with connecting to the new laptop, and they won't hurt the new laptop.

As long as you are connected to the real campus wifi, there's no special consideration for where you are installing programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users