Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How often should I check my external hard drives?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

I haven't checked my external hard drives once in a little over a year due to problems with my laptop. Nothing serious, but I'm just paranoid about what might happen if I connect my external hard drives to laptop. If you're wondering what the problem is, the clicker on it is broken. I have to use my touchpad to work with my laptop.

1) Would a broken clicker potentially disrupt my external hard drives if I connect them to my damaged laptop during a transfer process or just in general what I connect?

2) How often should someone check their external hard drives? I worry because I've waited so long, my external hard drive might corrupted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

What's a "clicker"?

#3 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

The left-side of my touchpad is broken. The side that allows me to drag & drop files or open up files. It no longer works.

#4 OzJohn

OzJohn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi, I can't see that you're "clicker" would have any relevance or cause any problems when connecting your external hard drives.

And for checking you're external hard drives, if you think they aren't causing any problems it's a matter of opinion, once a month would be fine.

I haven't checked mine for many months.

#5 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

bigbrown 411,

If part of your laptop's touchpad is broken/not working, you really should purchase an inexpensive usb mouse.

Otherwise, your ability to activate/enter computer commands will be somewhat limited.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#6 bigbrown411

bigbrown411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

The left-side of my clicker not working isn't an issue. I can get by that. I'm just paranoid that such physical damage to my laptop will cause problems when I try to back up my files. I'm worried that either the transfer process will not go right, or the old + new files on my external hard drives will become corrupted in some sort of way. Is this a possibility?

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

A damaged key/button on the laptop shouldn't damage files but other things could. As for the "clicker" i would advise getting a USB mouse anyway, speaking for myslef my laptop would be uterly unusable for most purposes if i had to rely on the touchpad, touchpads are such useless things (especially when one uses 3d computer graphics software). Personally i can only imagine two physical scenarios where damage can occur to an external hard drive by plugging it in, the first is that you have the bad luck of getting a mains power surge while it is plugged in and this surge (or maybe a lightning strike conducted along a phone line) then blasts your external device with high voltage electricity, the second is where internal damage on the laptop has lead to a change in the wring for the USB (or ethernet or whatever other port your external drive uses)ad that this could zap the external drive with power directly from the power supply. Both are unlikely. If you are really concerned try plugging in another similar drive into the same slot and see if it suffers at all, if it is usb you can pick up USB sticks for £5. A more plausible danger of plugging backup drives into computers is that a virus on the computr could infect the backup drive, in light of that threat it might be best just to get a new drive every year or so and not check older ones, make sure the new drive contains everything that was on the older ones. The routine would work as follows: early january, you buy a new external drive, retire the previous one and put it in a safe. the next day you make sure you backup everything that was on other drives onto this new drive. throughout the year you write each new backup onto this drive. december, you write files to this drive and get ready to buy a new one. The subsequent january you backup all of the previous years work to new drives before starting backing up more recent stuff. Each year you have a new backup of older stuff, so even if the earliest harddrive with a given file on it got corrupted by water damage/heat/impact/cosmic rays then the same file is safe on more recent drives. if more recent drives have been infected then you go back to the earliest drives and hope thye haven't been corrupted by random chance.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

Your laptop mouse buttons have nothing to do with the hard drives. You have nothing to worry about there.

I would recommend using the external drive(s) once a month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users