Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SDXC card compatibilty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

I've been trying to find out whether my 2008 Acer Aspire 6930G (Vista SP2) laptop can read SDXC cards before I consider buying one but without success. Any help would really be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=sdxc%20card%20reader&Submit=ENE

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

Thanks a lot. Hadn't considered getting an SDXC card reader. I guess noone knows whether or not my computer needs one or not.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:02 AM

That very first one on the list (the Transcend) is the same one that I have, and the only one I'll likely need.

Works with most all type of SD cards, even the tiny ones like in cell phones & some camcorders. 

Plus it's portable, doesn't need installing, great item to have. I lucked out on mine, it was only $6.99 with free shipping. Was going to get another for a relative afterwards, but they said no double stacking of codes (using more than one time). Lesson learned. 

However, you'll love that first card. It's a performer, I have a 4GB SDHC card that was left over after upgrading our digital camera to a 8GB card, it makes for lightening fast Windows installs, though if it's Windows 7, have to place it in a USB 2.0 port (no native support for SATA 3), It works fine with Windows 8, 8.1 & the Windows Technical Preview in a USB 3.0 port. Same with Linux installs. 

You'll love it. 

Good Luck,, :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Thanks. Right, the Transcend it is then. It's a little pricier here in the UK but still seems well worth it. There's an even cheaper SDXC reader made by Integral for about half the price but I bought one of their other readers a few years ago and it lasted about 3 months.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

I haven't heard of that brand, the Integral, though if I see it, will know to stay away. Sounds like the BYTECC brand in the US, much of their product is garbage. Belkin is only a bit better, the only device of that brand that hasn't given an issue with me is a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. Their routers/wireless adapters are no good. Normally the higher priced product is better, but not with that brand. Had to return both Belkin routers, plus a wireless adapter, for full refund. Actually I ended up with the second Belkin router because the store assistant said customers reported it to be far better, so they gave me a full refund on the one, and I took & added to that for the other, which was not one bit better than the first. 

Transcend is a decent brand, not only do I have the card reader, but also a couple of Flash drives, They've held up well for me so far & file transfers are much faster than any of my Kingstons. Though they feel a bit flimsy, have had both for over two years. 

I'll still say the card reader was the best product of theirs that I've purchased to date. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users