Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugga, Can't Open Some Pragrams From Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Toyoden

Toyoden

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

Hi again, have two programs I have downloaded, MP3 Rocket and Limewire, am running, Adaware, Spybot, and use XP Firewall, have chosen to allow both programs to run, with nil success, other programs etc no problem, these are paid for subscriptions. When I double click on them nothing happens at all, and now my Task Mgr has been Hijacked, take these Hijackers out back and shoot em :thumbsup: :flowers:
Any ideas?, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Any time you choose to use P2P file sharing programs, you increase your chance of getting some type of malicious program.
Always scan with your Antivirus anything you download!
Many P2P programs also install malware.
What version of Limewire are you using?

Limewire (The most current version of Limewire is reported to include spyware. LimeWire 4.9.28 is clean. Older and newer version may not be.)

Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs

Additional information on various P2P programs:
Clean/Infected P2P Programs

Have you checked your Restricted Sites Zone in IE, to make sure they aren't listed?
Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Select the Security tab.
Click Restric.. sites, then click the Sites... button.
Check to see if the sites are listed there.
If they are you can highlight the site, then click the Remove button.

You can also check Spybot to make sure TeaTimer isn't blocking them:
Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings.
This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List".
There are four (4) Buttons accross the top of the "White & Black List":

* Allowed processes
* Blocked processes
* Allowed registry changes
* Blocked registry changes

If you donít see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you've stored.
See if there's anything in there that relates to you P2P programs.
You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X", to the right of the entry.
When your finished, click the OK button.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for tips, not working though, Spybot is clear of them, IE hasn't blocked them, and as my Task Manager is not working, also can't Regedit either, means some idot has hijacked some of my system, should be a prison term for doing this

#4 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

Thanks, have deleted the whole program.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

I noticed you have a HJT log being worked on.
Once you post your log, you shouldn't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
Wait until your log has been declared clean, then try to fix any remaining problems.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Hi TG my HJT log was a while ago, I know they are busy, but I need my system functioning, ie Task Manager, through advice given to another similar problem, I have corrected some faults, and now have my task mgr back, Hallelujah.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users