Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install Win7 Ult 64 to a 240 GB SSD USB enclosure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RichUrm

RichUrm

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

install Win Ult 64 to a 240 GB SSD USB drive enclosure so I can boot up to it.  Any tips or caveats for doing that?

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by RichUrm, 18 October 2014 - 11:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

Does your motherboard/system support booting from USB?  Not all boards do.

Louis

#3 RichUrm

RichUrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

GA-890GPA-UD3H

Yes.  From within the bios (although that has been erratic lately) and also has a PF12 boot menu that offers USB booting.  There is a 2014 update to my MB bios, should I update that before installing?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

I would not...I never have updated a BIOS on any system which I have built/owned.

IMO, BIOS updates should only be even spoken of when there is either enhanced ability provided by the update...or the update was issued to resolve a known issue/defect with the BIOS.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

I agree with Louis.

Go to the manufacturer's website and look at the dirver downloads.  If there is a BIOS update listed it will be for a good reason.  Copy the version of the update and Google it to see why it's being offered.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RichUrm

RichUrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

GA-890GPA-UD3H

Yes.  From within the bios (although that has been erratic lately) and also has a PF12 boot menu that offers USB booting.  There is a 2014 update to my MB bios, should I update that before installing? **

Which USB choice do I need to make for the bootable Win7 USB HD enclosure?  I assume USB-HDD, but then what would I choose if at another time I want to boot a utility disk from USB stick?   USB-FDD, USB-HDD, USB-Zip or USB-CDROM?

**Apparently, this is actually a driver update to the IDE-SATA controller and is dated this year.  Should I try to apply this from DOS before installing the new OS to the USB enclosure?  I have noticed erratic behavior from the IDE/Sata/AHCI controller part of the bios.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-880GA-UD3H&ck=

I notice some different revisions listed at the link above.  How do I know what revision my MB is?

thanks,

Edited by RichUrm, 18 October 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Your destgnated boot options in the BIOS...determine which device is booted.

Many systems have multiple hard drives...and Windows does not boot randomly from whichever it feels like.  It tries the selected first boot option as defined in the BIOS...then, if it cannot boot from that, it goes to the second option.

That's why it's important to change the boot options in the BIOS when trying to boot from the optical drive on a system where the designated hard drive...is the first boot option.

Ditto for any USB device.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#8 RichUrm

RichUrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yes

Your destgnated boot options in the BIOS...determine which device is booted.

Many systems have multiple hard drives...and Windows does not boot randomly from whichever it feels like.  It tries the selected first boot option as defined in the BIOS...then, if it cannot boot from that, it goes to the second option.

That's why it's important to change the boot options in the BIOS when trying to boot from the optical drive on a system where the designated hard drive...is the first boot option.

Ditto for any USB device.

Louis

Yes.  I would (and am able to) set up the bios to b0ot to the USB enclosure, once Win7 has been installed.  Additionally, I can use PF12 when booting up to temporarily boot to a specific device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users