Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resetting bios

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 roymin

roymin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

Hi all, can you help please,?  I have a Packard Bell imedia desktop pc, I want to change the bios settings to enable the CD to boot first. The current setting is, Prim Master HD, Prim Slave empty,  

Sec Master C/D, Sec Slave DVD.  I 'd like to change it to,  Prim Master C/D, Prim Slave empty, Sec Master HD, Sec Slave DVD.  The Bios is Ambios New Setup Utility version 3.31a.  I have managed to move the C/D to the Master Prim position but then the HD doesn't appear in the window to enable me to move it to Master Slave.  Would appreciate any help or suggestions, as basic as possible please, thanks Roy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Sound like you are confusing primary and master with drive boot order. (Or maybe I'm just confused.) It doesn't matter if your CD drive is primary slave, secondary master, or whatever - you can still set it to be the first drive in the boot order.

#3 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for replying, the method of changing the bios settings on this Pack/Bell is new to me, when I've changed settings on my PC I have always been able to see, at all times, the whereabouts of the HD & CDs during the change, but with this P/B the equivalent window is as follows. NOT INSTALLED

USER

AUTO

C/D DVD

ARMD

If you can understand this  option box, can you let me know.

I did place the CD as the Prim Master but the HD that it replaced I couldn't locate,         I'm aware of the problems that come from not being 100% sure when messing with the BIOS.  I have contacted P/B but that proved to be a waste of time. many thanks for your time, Roy

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

For the ARMD option see this. In your case CD/DVD replaces Floppy in the link.

Does your BIOS screen look like this? If not, it would help if you could post a screen shot from a camera.

bios3.jpg

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

NOT INSTALLED

USER

AUTO

C/D DVD

ARMD

If you can understand this  option box, can you let me know.

I did place the CD as the Prim Master but the HD that it replaced I couldn't locate,         I'm aware of the problems that come from not being 100% sure when messing with the BIOS.  I have contacted P/B but that proved to be a waste of time. many thanks for your time, Roy

These settings would indicate you're selecting in the section for drive types, not boot order. As JohnC indicates above, you'll probably be looking for a section called something like Boot Priority or Sequence or Order, or maybe just Boot.

There could also be a different key option for boot order, I've seen a suggestion of F2 for BIOS setup but F8 for Boot Order.

Edited by Platypus, 20 October 2014 - 08:13 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for all your help, not sure if the two images I've attached will work, this is my first post. If they help I'll wait to read your suggestions.  many thanks,Roy

Attached Files

#7 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

Apologies, original file to big, Roy

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Can you provide a screenshot after selecting Advanced?

#9 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hi JohnC-21, following Moderator's suggestion, F8 has the boot options, I should have looked first before sending the photos. I'll have a go tomorrow at changing the settings and post results, thanks for your time so far. Roy 

I was concerned when Comp. Active forum shut down but this forum is first class.  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

Maybe Packard Bell has some kind of custom BIOS where boot order is only available with F8.

#11 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

attachment=156478:12120002.JPG]Hi, I've looked at the set up and can see how I would like it to be but I'm not sure of the procedure, can you show the way to reverse the HD and the CD, Thanks for your time, Roy 

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Does the highliighted selection change when you use the left/right arrow keys?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 October 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#13 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi, using the up&down arrows highlights next item, using the left or right arrows puts a flashing cursor at the end of the selected item. Pressing the return key or enter key loses the Bios screen and begins to run PC.  hope this helps, thanks Roy 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

The only other thing I can suggest is to try the pageup and pagedown keys.

#15 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hi, I can highlight any off the four lines by using the up/down arrows.  When I use the PgUp/PdDn arrows it places a flashing cursor at the beginning of the highlighted line. Clicking on the Return or Enter key closes the page and the PC boots up.  From the Hard drive. 

My reason for wanting to boot from the CD drive is, when the PC boots up, at the moment,  it's halfway through trying to load a new XP program ( no disc in the tray).  I've tried removing the Cmos jumper hoping that would clear it, but no luck.  If you can offer any other method of stopping it from trying to boot this XP program I'd welcome it. thanks again for your time, Roy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users