Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with download

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terrano2001

Terrano2001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:47 AM

Hi All this is my first post

Operating system windows 7 home premium 64-bit sp1

I downloaded the secunia program which advise me to update manual

Microsoft xml core services (msxml) 4.x I followed the instructions and clicked download

File Name

msxml6.msi

1.5 MB

msxml6_ia64.msi

3.6 MB

msxml6_SDK.msi

4.4 MB

msxml6_x64.msi

2.6 MB

I ticked all the boxes download to save then opened it and click on run, nothing seems to have happened so I tried again but only ticked the boxes with 64 in the description

This time received message this installation package is not supported by this processor type

Not sure what to do now your help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Terrano2001

Terrano2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

It appears there are no more updates for Microsoft xml core services (msxml) 4.x and until secunia update there data base I will continue to get the message A program needs updateing.

My problem solved?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

Honestly...although Secunia is a program that others seem to revere...the only updates that I worry about are the critical security updates available via Windows Update.

IME, most other programs do not require or put forth frequent updates...unless they are security updates for said program.  That means AV, AntiMalware apps and not much of anything else.

If what you installed is/was a critical update, there was no need of Secunia to alert you to such...Windows does that.

I can't answer your question since I have no idea whether what you installed...is/was a critical update.  Many members here use Secunia, so I suggest waiting for a response from one such person :).

Louis

#4 Terrano2001

Terrano2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

I Hamluis

I was honestlly not sure what I was doing I was unsuccesful in my atempts with the downloads.

On the Secunia web site a Secunia offical states the (msxml)4x has reached the end of its life on April

12th 2014. Every time I boot up Secunia says this programs needs downloading Manualy.

I have been looking on other forums and lot of people have the same issue

Thanks for reply

#5 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

Terrano,

I've been getting the same warning message from Secunia PSI myself for many months, but it seems to be a fairly harmless warning.

An "End of Life" warning is much less dangerous than being told that installed software is "Insecure".

I've tried the manual download fix offered by PSI, but it just doesn't ever work for me, so I simply ignore it.

At least so far, my ignoring it has caused no problems for my computer.  Hopefully, Secunia will eventually tweak PSI to stop warning about something they can't offer a fix to.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#6 Terrano2001

Terrano2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hi Torvald

My computer is running ok I will follow your example and ignore the persistent update

Thanks for your reply

Arthur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users