Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.1.394

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

This week has been digustingly terrible for me. The last end of the year/graduation/goodbye party for my friends and I ended two days ago and now I say goodbye forever to at least 20 people! :thumbsup: On top of that, something happened with my computer where my welcome screen was completely blank and there were no user accounts to select from. I tried everything I could: Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, everything; but, nothing worked. Unfortunately, that meant a system reformatting was in the near future. In addition to reformatting and losing friends, I lost data. Important data for my science fair projects. The last time I backed up was three weeks ago (now I'm backing up weekly) and my data was outdated and unupdated, I was furious. Anyways, now that Sophos is gone I'm debating on anti-virus programs. Currently, I'm using AVG Free version 7.1.394, but I wonder whether I should switch to Avira AntiVir. What are you guys using? Also, I noticed that when I installed the new version from free.grisoft.com and began the update, there was only one priority update as opposed to the usual priority, recommended, optional, etc. list of updates. Has anyone else noticed this and what AV are you guys using? Thanks! :flowers:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:05 AM

After four years, I continue to use AVG because of its stability and reliability.
Priority updates are updates of definitions; since recommended and optional updates are enhancements to the application itself, they appear with less frequency. I suspect a new install of AVG would include the latest enhancements, so I would not expect these to show up when I first updated the definitions.

Experientia docet, as Tacitus writes. If I am working on anything critical (as is often the case) I always always always back it up to disk immediately after saving my work. This may be tedious at times, but losing several day's work and then rushing to meet a deadline by working through the night, makes the effort well worth it.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

Started using AVG recently (4-5 months), but I'm liking it so far.
A little slow in the E-mail scanning, but for free, I'm not going to complain. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

Interesting... since two mods are using it (along with a bunch of other long time BC members as I've noticed) it can't possibly be a bad decision to stick with it... although my mom says that she can get me McAfee. My mom works as a System Information Analyst for the county and she got a laptop from the county to use for her work. Along with the laptop comes the standard McAfee (Virex 8.0 is it?) or something like that. Basically, she says that she can get me the same version of McAfee that she's using if I want it. From what I've heard, McAfee appears to be good, so I'm wondering whether I should stick with AVG or switch to McAfee. Any words of advice/suggestions?
Stanford '14

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

As a learning experience, you may wish to try McAfee, but I don't really think it will provide better protection than AVG, and it might take additional system resources. You can always go back to AVG if you don't like McAfee.

TG, the earlier version of AVG's E-mail scanner was much faster, but not as thorough. As I understand it, AVG will download the E-mail and contents into a temporarily quarantined area and then scan it. Quite frankly, since all of my Email clients already scan E-mail and attachments, and I check the contents of my In-boxes on-line before downloading to Thunderbird, I have disabled the E-mail scanner in AVG.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the information John.
I just like the extra security, and the extra 10-15 seconds that it takes to scan, isn't that inconvenient.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

AVG is great...My girlfriend's PC was so disgustingly infected it was one of the large motivations for me joining the HJT training program...Well after laboriously cleaning her computer while it was at 99% CPU usage I decided to get rid of all of her unnecessary software and try and get her PC working well again. I researched her HJT log, etc ran various scans, cleaned the thing up, installed AVG, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, and Sygate Firewall...then i got her Firefox.

So what I'm saying is, AVG rocks so much I trust it with my girlfriend haha.

Which is ironic because I don't use it myself...pretty much just because I dont feel like uninstalling Symantec CE and switching over. Also, my PC is much more powerful than hers and I find Sygate and AVG are less intensive on the system resources and a much better selection for PCs that are showing their age and getting slow...

Edited by Harry83, 12 June 2006 - 07:40 PM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#8 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

*Sigh* why couldn't my county's government provide Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2006? :thumbsup: If only, if only... I would switch in a second if it were an option; however, it is not reality so best not dwell on the thought too long. Anyways, thanks for the advice/recommendations/tips and anymore are welcome! :flowers:
Stanford '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users