Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer 5600u black screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OzJohn

OzJohn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hi all, my workplace recieved an Acer 5600u aio (i5 nVidia graphics) in a not working condition.

I'm not familiar with this computer so don't know what should light up or not.

When the power supply is plugged in the On light comes on (white) but no other lights appear on the front panel.

The screen turns a lighter shade of black for a few seconds then reverts to the original black.

The hard drive spins up and the dvdrom flashes,

I have left it on for many minutes but no screen at all and no Windows startup sounds.

There is only HDMI output no VGA so I cannot connect to an external monitor to see if anything comes up on screen at all.

I have removed the RAM (2 sticks) and tried them one by one individually in the 2 slots.

I have disconnected the hard drive and dvdrom.

I have removed the heatsink from the CPU and nVidia chip and cleaned and applied Artic Silver thermal paste.

All leads seem to be connected properly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

Is the hdd LED indicating activity?

If you shine a strong flashlight on the screen can you see the desktop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OzJohn

OzJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It doesn't boot into safe mode, not showing anything on the screen at all.

No lights are showing on the front panel at all.

Shining a light doesn't show anything on the screen.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

What operating system do you have installed on this Acer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 OzJohn

OzJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

The sticker on the front says Windows 8.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Do you have a monitor you can use to see if the computer works with it?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:10 AM

Quite frequently I see all in one computers with failed video chipsets, they tend to run hot. This is my suspicion, the easiest way to test this method is by using that HDMI output to see if there is video output there, try to find a way to test with the HDMI output, most new TV sets have HDMI inputs.

Any piece of hardware can cause a failure to post or post fault, remove every piece of hardware that is not requried and then test it again, remove the dvd drive, hard drive, wifi card, pci cards, anything outside of the motherboard, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, cpu, cooler, and power supply, then see if it will post.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 OzJohn

OzJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

dc3, it only has HDMI output.

zingo, I'm leaning toward a fried video chip. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem. I've done most of what you have suggested. I have a small tv I can test it on, I just need to get a HDMI cable. As for removing the power supply, I think I might need that. :-)

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yes you will need the psu, cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram, and either the built in or external monitor to test.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

@zingo156

Before doing the minimum build test, let's let OzJohn get the HDMI cord to see if the problem is with the display.  Disassembling this all in one is very involved.

@OzJohn

If this proves to be the integrated graphics you are looking at a new motherboard since there are not PCI-E expansion slots.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

I hinted at that in the first post, because the OP mentioned he didn't have a TV set, I wanted to offer the other info. From the sound of the original post they likely have already disassembled this computer:

"I have removed the RAM (2 sticks) and tried them one by one individually in the 2 slots. I have disconnected the hard drive and dvdrom. I have removed the heatsink from the CPU and nVidia chip and cleaned and applied Artic Silver thermal paste. All leads seem to be connected properly."

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

OzJohn stated in post #8 that they have a small TV they can test the graphics with, but they need to get a HDMI cable.

I had assumed that they had reinstalled the components which were removed.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

I assumed the oposite, I guess because when I work on all in ones, I never put them back together all the way until I know it is working correctly. I generally leave them apart but in a testable condition.

#14 OzJohn

OzJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

dc3 and zingo156, thanks for your input.

Yes I have pretty well pulled it apart, but with this Acer it is pretty easy, unlike a laptop. I was hoping for faulty RAM but no such luck. I can easily reinstall the RAM but will leave the other hardware out. I think the next step will be to get a HDMI cable and test if I can get a screen on my small TV. I'm not getting my hopes up as there are no lights on the front panel.

I was wondering if reflowing the solder on the nVidia chip might be an option as a last resort. Not that I've done it before.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

All of the electronic components on the motherboard are soldered on using a wave soldering machine,  It's rare to have bad solder joint with this type of soldering.  I would go further to state that since this computer was working before I don't believe your problem is a bad solder joint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users