Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Usage.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

Pc Specs.

HP Pavillion G6

4 GiB Ram

AMD A4-3305M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics

SanDisk Ultra Plus 128 GiB SSD, SDSSDHP-128G

Clean install to SSD.

Well some 3 hours of Windows 10 and I am not impressed, 30 to 60 % CPU usage with nothing but task manager running is not good, System interupt is whats using the CPU, I do not know what it is.  1.2 gig of ram  used with nothing open.

See screen shots.

30cyttv.png

evb88p.png

And what's with this disk usage other than Firefox Paltalk and Libre Office there is nothing installed, My fully Loaded Linux with eye candy and all the apps one would ever need is not taking up so much space.

eta9nr.png

Edited by NickAu1, 18 October 2014 - 12:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:29 AM

That's a high amount of usage for whatever "System Interrupts" are, and Windows defender on lesser powered hardware will use more resources, as it's constantly scanning, like wide open. I opened CCleaner & ran the Analyze part just after 2 hours of use. In that amount of time, 6 to 7 scans had been ran. What good is that, if nothing is found? 

While it's good to have inbuilt security, Windows Defender is total garbage, and has never blocked any download that I've attempted to get, or open (I tested it heavily with the Windows 8 Previews). Though MBAM Pro would block many malware infested pages along my travels, which was my sole purpose, to force Windows Defender to do something, even if it was wrong. To this date, Windows Defender has never blocked anything, while on Windows 7/XP (when supported), MSE would catch & block some threats. WD is what the mag editors says, garbage. AV-Comparatives, a well reputable outfit who runs tests on security, and one employee has no idea of which other employee is running the identical brand for sampling, doesn't even include Microsoft security any longer for benchmark tests. Though it shows where it stands, a red line around the 89-90% mark, a very poor showing. 

And while MS Security employee Holly Stewart's words were taken out of context by tech writers, she is one MS employee that I respect. Because she told the truth, in stating that both Windows Defender & MSE are "baseline" choices, and she, not the editors, nor I, said it. 

I have a great feeling that all of that process use is for nil, that's the same Windows Defender that ships with Windows 7, which also catches nothing, with a facelift. 

Though I know that the Windows OS's aren't your favorite, you may as well have AVG 2014 installed, as it does work with the Windows Technical Preview, and does catch threats. It would be great if we could go into Services & disable all of these options, it may be that one can, if another security is installed. Will have to check that out. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,726 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

you may as well have AVG 2014 installed,

Not a chance. I hate AVG, I used it in the past and had nothing but problems. If I need AV I will use Avast or BitDefender.

That's a high amount of usage for whatever "System Interrupts"

Yes and when I try to launch Firefox the CPU spikes to 100%..

I guess nobody knows why or how to fix this.  I do not have the time right now, But during the week I intend to format this rubbish and return to Linux.

Though I know that the Windows OS's aren't your favorite,

This just confirms my hate of that OS.

Microsoft had their chance to impress me with this OS and failed in a big way. 1.2 Gig of ram used at Idle, 15 Gig of SSD space used 30 to 60 % CPU usage, I am not used to seeing those numbers on Linux.

And they expect us to pay for this? :hysterical:

Edited by NickAu1, 18 October 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

15 Gig of SSD space used

And that was w/out an Office install. Mine's about 15GiB also, with a few software choices installed. 

Not a chance. I hate AVG, I used it in the past and had nothing but problems. If I need AV I will use Avast or BitDefender.

Had no choice. There was a BitDefender giveaway openly posted on this forum last week, it would unzip, but not install. In fact, there was no prompt to tell me that it wouldn't. So I had to go in and delete the BitDefender folder, after two attempts. 

Avast, which would had been my 1st choice if it weren't for the BitDefender promo, wouldn't install either, a bit surprising, because it installed on Day 1 of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (oh, we're not that far along yet). This is the equivalent of the Developer Preview of Windows 8, which I never bothered with. It was reported on the Avast forums it wouldn't install, but I tried anyway. 

So I had a year install of AVG 2014 Internet Security, that actually shows as a Trial, due to being a beta tester late last year, it installed w/out a hiccup. I'll agree with you that AVG has had their bad releases, have seen them firsthand. But I trust most anything over Windows Defender for security. At least it does catch threats, and it also has a Firewall included. Plus a MBAM Pro Trial is installed, it installed w/out issue, so did SuperAntiSpyware. 

The one app that I wanted to install to really see & post a snapshot as Speccy, but it refused to install. The rest of Piriform's software installed fine, CCleaner & Recuva. 

As far, so good for AVG on my Windows Technical Preview. The cool thing about that Trial, it's been used three times, and the 374 days shows each time, and dwindles as time passes. It was installed on that Dell twice, after formatting the first install, had tried out too many drivers. So a week later installed again, and still I have 374 days. No way am I getting rid of that, it'll update to the next release. 

The trick is in the install, and where few looks. I chose Custom install, and unchecked the System Tuner junk, so it's not there, on 3 installs. Otherwise, the program is highly configurable, how to run scans, it self adjusts to environment to not be too heavy, and for it being a free gift for beta testing, I'm happy. That's a benefit of being a beta tester, usually one gets a final release version. ESET, Norton & F-Secure has also rewarded me for beta testing their products. I just don't have as much time for it as of late. 

Also, the hardware of that computer is better suited for Linux. Most any version should run good on it & I don't mean the "lite" or Xfce versions, but rather the heavyweight releases. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Try disabling devices, like WI-FI, one by one until you find which one is the culprit.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,726 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Try disabling devices, like WI-FI, one by one until you find which one is the culprit.

Yes I tried that. I actually formated and reinstalled Windows twice with no luck.

I even found a suggestion that I defragment my SDD, But that's not going to happen.

Anyway I pulled the Drive with Windows on it, Windows is just not worth the effort, Sorry Microsoft that's a massive FAIL from me.

Topic Closed.

Edited by NickAu1, 20 October 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

I even found a suggestion that I defragment my SDD,

Yet some would fall for this type of published garbage. SSD OEM's do not approve defrag for their products, that's what TRIM & GC is for. That's why the disclaimers in many articles, they instruct one on how to tear up their components, then won't stand up & accept liability for the posting of garbage. That is, if it's where Nick found the suggestion. If it was an individual posting these instructions, that person deserved to burn through 5-6 SSD's in 2-3 years & no warranty coverage on any, the OEM's knows what's up, that's what the diagnostic codes (that a Secure Erase won't delete) are for. 

But that's not going to happen.

+1! :thumbup2:

I don't have the cash to burn to buy products & not take care of them. That doesn't mean that I'm going to frame it to show off 50 years from now, but there is what's reasonable use, and the online sites has instructions (some has tools) to manage the maintenance of SSD's. Both Intel & Samsung has tools to optimize the OS with one click, and one can even run manual TRIM when desired. 

Really, as long as TRIM is working (this can be checked), and the partitions on the SSD are aligned, that's all the drive needs. Other than having a separate spinner drive for large amounts of data storage. It's imperative not to pack rat a SSD, and keep as much free space as possible, as well as 10% of unpartitioned space at the end. This allows the controller to do it's job much better, while adding years of life to the SSD. Properly taken care of, which is simple, most SSD's will outlive the computer it's on. 

I agree with Nick on the Topic being solved, but felt compelled to come back with a response on the SSD defrag recommendation. Currently, I have a total of 6 SSD's, not a one has failed on me, and the two oldest ones reports 99% lifespans left. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users