Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing after installing ATI Radeon HD 5450

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Glennisbest

Glennisbest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thanks in advance for any time you spend on this to help me out.

Here's my system:

Acer Aspire

Mainboard : Acer Aspire X1420
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
Processor : AMD Athlon II X3 450 @ 3200   MHz
Physical Memory : 4096  MB DDR3-SDRAM
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 5450
Hard Disk : Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (1000GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N
Monitor Type : Sony SONY TV - 72 inches
Network Card : Ralink Technology RT3090 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.2 on 7.9

I've been having persistent crashes on this system when using the latest version of Chrome since installing the graphics card. I wanted to upgrade the performance of this PC so I could use it as a HTPC. But it hasn't gone according to plan. The crashes are pretty frustrating, I can be looking at YouTube, or facebook or whatever. The entire computer screen freezes completely and does not recover on it's own without a hard reset of the power button. 

I can hear that the fan inside the computer gets quieter when this happens.

It will happen almost every time I use it. I've been trawling around for weeks trying to figure it out, and now i'm finally done searching around as I can't figure it out. It's probably beyond my capacity to delve any deeper than I already have. 

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Updated the Catalyst drivers and control center to the latest version 14.301.1001
2. Updated flash player to whatever the latest version is - but it turns out that Chrome does this automatically anyway.

What other information would you need to get started on giving me some insight?
Could it be that the SOC graphics that are disabled are somehow interfering with the new hardware?
Could the hardware configuration be drawing too much power (like the new video card).

Edited by Glennisbest, 17 October 2014 - 10:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

i saw a topic like this a few weeks ago. if you disable hardware acceleration in your chrome browser, this may solve the angst...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

Edited by synergy513, 18 October 2014 - 12:09 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users