Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway GT5644E Randomly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi all,

I am working on a computer running Windows 7 Pro x64. I just did a clean install.  As I am running Windows updates to get it up to date, the machine constantly shuts down.  I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the updates because the owner has been struggling with this issue for some time.

I am not sure how to diagnose the issue.  We put in a new PSU and a new video card.  I have added a fan to the box to keep it cooler. I looked at event log, but to be honest, I have no idea what I am looking at.

Any advice or direction is appreciated.

EDIT: I downloaded HWMonitor from CPUID and found that the processors are overheating.  Took the heat sink and fan off, cleaned them up (full of dust!), put it back together and all is good, now!

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2014 - 07:24 AM.
Added emphasis to edit - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Glad to see that you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users