Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Orgeston

Orgeston

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

My monitor is displaying a test pattern. When I press the power button the light turns on, my HDs spin up, my case fan spins up, but my GPU and CPU fans do not spin up. The test pattern does not go away. If I leave it, nothing happens, no startup sound, nothing. Once I've turned it on, I have to hold down the power button to turn it off, like if it was already started up, unlike starting it up regularly where you can just hit the power button and it turns off.

CPU: Intel Haswell Dual-Core Pentium G3258

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2V

PWR: CORSAIR CX series CX500 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

A few details please. Age of the system? Fans not spinning could be connections or lost voltages. Can you connect those fans to any other correct voltage source?

The failure of the monitor to change images might indicate that it is not receiving a signal from the graphics card - no fan, no signal, no change in picture.

If you have another power supply you might connect it for test purposes. If there's no change then you could be looking at a bad motherboard.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Orgeston

Orgeston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:05 AM

Alright, thank you for your input. I managed to fix the problem. Took it apart, put it back together. Something might have wiggled its way loose.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Glad to hear all is well

We'll be here when you need us

Til then

Stay well and surf safe