Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anklebitersmom

anklebitersmom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:54 AM

So I'm sitting here a few minutes ago, reading a thread about trojans on this site, and what do you know, my virus scan program (mcafee) alerts me that a trojan was "detected and cleaned" I can't remember exactly what it's name was, maybe gen.com??? Does that sound right? I was completely freaked because that was the first time in over 3 years of owning a computer that I've had anything like that to happen. I have been super paranoid the last few days because of a recent incident involving my bank account...seems someone helped themselves to my debit card and went wild buying "vitamins" yeah right :flowers: Anyway, I still don't know how they obtained the info, but I have to wonder if a 3rd party intercepted my account info during a past online transaction?? As you can tell, my knowledge is very limited when it comes to computers and I have a newly instituted fear when it comes to my personal indentity and the internet. It's as if I feel like someone is watching me...remember that song? :thumbsup: I guess my question is, how did I receive a trojan while being on this website? I know other processes are running, I'm just trying to understand things a little better so that I can protect myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

While you are waiting for a response from someone more qualified. Please visit the link below. (Simple Steps To Keep Your Computer Secure.) Being online without being protected by these methods, is similiar to jumping out of a plane without a parachute. As you are risking it all.

One more thought. Whenever you have completed any online transactions.

You should always do as I've come to call (Close and Clean)
Clean out your cache and close your browser.

Tools>Internet Options> General Tab> Clear History> Delete Cookies> Delete Files

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

Edited by scarlett, 26 November 2004 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

Most likely McAfee has given you a false warning. I wouldn't worry too much about it since McAfee said it cleaned the 'infection". Could you give a link or description of the thread so we can check it out and be sure?

We had the same thing happen a few days ago when a member attached his log instead of posting it. Two different AV's (one being McAfee) claimed the log was infected but it turned out the AV's were reading the file path and executable in the text of the log instead of the executable being active, so it was a false positive.

For another layer of protection that can help you avoid identity theft by "true" trojans, I have Trojan Hunter installed and recommend a dedicated anti-Trojan for those who conduct any finances online. I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment so I can't run down the links, but do a Google for the following--the first offers a free version, the other two don't but their reputation is good:

A2
Trojan Hunter
TDS-3

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

My Webpage A2[/URL] free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ :thumbsup:

The above link will take you to A-squared Trojan killer--free and works good!

Edited by EdBee, 26 November 2004 - 05:32 PM.

EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users