Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to use a Windows XP Product Key with Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am building a Dell D620 laptop and was wondering if I need a new copy of windows 7. I have this Dell D620 laptop from a while back which has a Windows XP product key underneath the battery compartment, the laptop is currently running windows 7 and I was wondering how I can use that XP key to activate a copy of Windows 7 when I install Windows 7? Can I just enter that code into Windows 7 or do I need an upgrade pack or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Simple answer:  If you don't have a valid license for Win 7, you are not legally running Win 7.  An XP key is not valid for any O/S but XP.  If you contact Dell and anyone tells you otherwise...let us know and I will spread the word

Louis

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

To add to what hamluis already said.
To be able to use that XP key you would have to install the exact same version of windows that key matches. If it was Pro you install pro, if it was home, install home. Then have the key for the upgrade version of Windows 7 that was possibly installed on top of the original version of XP. So long story short you'll need the correct version of XP and the upgrade version of Windows 7 and the associated keys to each.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users