Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to speed up laptop and fix Windows 7 registry? Its slow and unresponsive!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

I have a Samsung 15.6" Laptop with these spec:

Core i5 2.6Ghz

6GB RAM

500GB HDD

Windows 7

Its slow, messy, unresponsive and very frustrating. How do help improve my laptops speed, responsiveness, other great benefits and to free up hard disk space? A window pop ups every now and again claiming my laptop has 216 invalid entries in my computers register. How do I clean the computers registry?

Thanks in advance :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 temp0rary

temp0rary

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

Try CCleaner. Its alright...

https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Just scan the registry, take a backup of the current when it asks, and then remove all that the registry entries the scanner found. It might help a bit. And you can also defragment the harddrive if you wish.

Good luck

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

If you are getting a popup about your registry, you have malware.  In addition to the above, download, install, update, and then run a Threat Scan using Malwarebytes FREE.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Not necessarily true..."optimizers/registry cleaners" find problems or create problems (depending on your perspective) where the system probably ran well without such.  Do not run the registry cleaner function in Ccleaner.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

I understand what you are saying, but I consider 'optimizers/registry cleaners', with very few exceptions, to be malware.  Maybe that's a stretch, but they are there to create or magnify problems as you said.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Technically, they are not malware...merely scams that cater to the unknowing :).  I believe many would call that "crapware".

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#7 temp0rary

temp0rary

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Not necessarily true..."optimizers/registry cleaners" find problems or create problems (depending on your perspective) where the system probably ran well without such.  Do not run the registry cleaner function in Ccleaner.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louist 

I have never ever had a problem myself with ccleaner.

I use that as registry cleaner, and it has always worked for me. I just take a backup on the current registry if something should go wrong, but it never has.

I think its pretty solid.

But thats just my opinion. 

Edited by temp0rary, 18 October 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Let's get this topic back on track and continue helping the OP after the interesting general registry cleaner discussion.

A window pop ups every now and again claiming my laptop has 216 invalid entries in my computers register.

When the window pops up does it give a program name? If it does, what is the name of it?

What you describe is what is called scareware. It tells you there are problems with your computer, scan with now with XYZ Super Duper All-Purpose Wonder Cleaner and Computer Fixer to fix the problems.

You scan, it finds "problems" which may not exist.

You panic, OH NO, I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!

When you attempt to "fix" the "problems" you will be told IN ORDER FOR XYZ SUPER DUPER WONDER CLEANER TO "FIX" THE "PROBLEMS" YOU MUST PURCHASE THIS PROGRAM FOR ONLY (insert amount here)".

If you purchase the program, you have been fleeced out of your money for something that is nothing more than snake oil.

Follow the directions given by Hamluis and post the logs he requested.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 October 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#9 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

When the window pops up does it give a program name? If it does, what is the name of it?

1. UniBlue SpeedUpMyPC 2014 claims that 8458 items need to be cleaned.

2. PC Health Kit Performance Monitor claims 218 invalid entries.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FHheI5QwVv8PXDg8GauH1Q7

#10 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

1. UniBlue SpeedUpMyPC 2014 claims that 8458 items need to be cleaned.

2. PC Health Kit Performance Monitor claims 218 invalid entries.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FHheI5QwVv8PXDg8GauH1Q7

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 21-07-2014

Ran by SAM (administrator) on 21-10-2014 at 14:17:30

Running from "D:\"

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)

Boot Mode: Normal

Edited by smithcraig, 21 October 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

Uniblue and PC Health Kit are scams in my book.  They are usually bundled with 3rd party downloaders and aren't essential to the software you are downloading in the first place.

Scam programs like these will often add themselve to Startup so they will start each time Windows starts.  By adding themselves to Startup they are actually contributing to slowing down the computer rather than "speeding" it up.  They present a report showing you have xxx number of errors but in order to fix them you have to buy the program.  These so-called "errors" are just fabricated.  What they really want is your money!

You should uninstall both programs.

Edited by Agouti, 21 October 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#12 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

would it be possible to just make a back up of c: drive and reinstall windows 7? if yes, how do I make a back up of my data?

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

If that is what you want to do then just copy all your personal data to external media (like an external hard drive).  When you've restored Windows from the factory restore partition just copy your data back.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Windows Repair (All in one)

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system. 

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  then Repairs and Settings.  2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 longhorn52

longhorn52

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

thank you.i learn a lot from you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users