Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft: Zombies Most Prevalent Windows Threat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

Many Windows PCs have been turned into zombies...More than 60 percent of Windows PCs scanned by Microsoft's Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool between January 2005 and March 2006 were found to run malicious bot software...Backdoor Trojans are the most prevalent threat, followed by e-mail worms

news.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

This is of no surprise to me at all. Around 75% of people i personally know who own a PC,do not have any kind of anti-malware products installed on there systems,despite the fact i,and many newspapers here,have said that an anti-virus only does part of the job and is in no way an anti-spyware removal tool on its own. They just do not appear to be interested in the first place.There theory is, if its working then its ok. If only.......!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:46 AM

According to security company CipherTrust, more than 180,000 PCs are turned into zombies every day, and that figure is continually rising.

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+next+securit..._3-6061341.html

Frightening figures, to say the least.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

With all these new zombies, maybe George Romero could make another movie? :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

I must concur with all of you... it is rather pathetic and sad that the world's computers are left so vulnerable. And we wonder why we can't seem to win the war against malware? All of my friends who have come to me asking for my help with their computer are usually defenseless. Either their using a rogue program, don't have any anti-malware, or are using expired trials such as Symantec's AV that usually comes with the PC as a trial. If only there was some way we could get the message across to the world that computer security is a SERIOUS and EXPONENTIALLY growing problem.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

I believe that Microsoft, Dell etc could easily be puttiing great Adware/Malware detectors on the new systems they market. However, their bz is exactly otherwise. I've had my newest computer about a month and am still busy ridding myself of unwanted software (AOL, Real Player etc.). At one time MS and AOL was putting software on the new computers that couldn't be gotten rid off by the non-geek user. I'm a MS fan but I would wonder how many lawyers they have just to maintain the status quo. I note that the EU is steadilly after them. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: Oh Well!!!!!!!
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#7 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

With all these new zombies, maybe George Romero could make another movie?

That was actually a really good joke...sorry I just had to acknowledge it because it made me laugh haha
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users