Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very weird power problem...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rochelle31331

rochelle31331

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

In short, (at one of my customers house) with nothing plugged into the tower, except the power cable, the computer powers on briefly and shuts itselft back off. HOWEVER, when the computer is back in my shop it runs perfectly normal. I even let it go overnight and it never shut off.

It's not her outlet (we don't think) because she took it to another outlet on another wall with the same results.

What else is there??

In detail -

Customer brought in pc with it immediately powering off

Found that with NO hard drive plugged in, computer would power normally. (Plus the drive would not mount externally)

Replaced hard drive and reloaded - everything powers normally, everything works normally IN MY SHOP. (and blew out the dust)

She goes home, and uses the computer for about 30-45 mins and it shut off on her. Not an auto reboot but shuts off.

She tries to power back on - it comes on for a few seconds and shuts back off - it does this every single time.

She calls us - we instruct her to unhook all extra components - no change

She plugs directly into the outlet (without power strip) - no change

She brings back - it works normal in our shop - and ran overnight without problems (and had several programs going so it was not just idle)

Motherboard capaciters are good, and the usb ports are good (so to not short the computer)

She comes to pickup and we send her with a new power chord -

She calls - same thing with the new power chord & plugged into directly the outlet

She unhooks hard drive - no change

She moves to another outlet on another wall - no change

I'm at a loss. The only difference between my shop and her house would be the outlets and she's getting same results on each outlet on what we assume are different circuits.

I was told maybe the power supply but if it was that, wouldn't I have the same issue in my shop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Honestly, if you find it working in one place and not the other I have to lean towards the wiring in the house.

Here is a cheap tool that I use to see if there is power issues:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT100/203195018

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing this in my tool kit recently. DAMN!

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 rochelle31331

rochelle31331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

Honestly, if you find it working in one place and not the other I have to lean towards the wiring in the house.

Here is a cheap tool that I use to see if there is power issues:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT100/203195018

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing this in my tool kit recently. DAMN!

I really think that as well. I have new information I'd like to share and maybe you'd have something else to suggest.

She called back - after letting the computer sit (plugged in but OFF) she turned it on and IT WORKED....for a bit. (straight to the wall outlet)

We put in the surge protector - still works

We put in the ethernet cable - stays powered

She goes to her email (IE) and then it says "shutting down" (so we didn't lose power, we got a shut down)

We power back on - we got to firefox and it says "shutting down" again

We take out ethernet chord -

Now it powers on momentarily and shuts right back off (by itself so it appears to be a continuous reboot) I guess that could be the result of the original power problem and not the original power problem itself.

So the computer stayed powered up with our testings for about 15 minutes and now back at square one.

If you have any other suggestions with this new information, I'd be grateful. I told her we need to rule out the outlet and $5 is better than a $100 electrician so thank you for that.

Edited by rochelle31331, 17 October 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Check all power settings. Try to re-create those steps of accessing email from another location again and see the results, etc. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users