Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware and a computer that won't come out of hibernation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 llamas612

llamas612

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm running a laptop with Windows 8.1. For the past few days, I've been noticing that "jusched.exe" (Java Update Scheduler) has been using a significant amount of CPU resources on my laptop (around 30%), which is obviously much higher than it should be. At first, I just passed it off as it being something buggy and would just kill the process. However, today I decided to run a MalwareBytes scan, and it found that it was actually a BitCoin miner which wasn't even in the same location as my java install (where the real "jusched.exe" is located).

I ended up quarantining the .exe file, as MalwareBytes always does. However, I noticed that on restart the file was still running on my computer, and using precious CPU resources. I then decided to kill the process and rename the offending .exe file in hopes that it would not restart. It did the trick, but then I decided that I should rerun MalwareBytes in Safe Mode just to actually clean out the virus/trojan/whateveritis. However, when I tried to reboot in Safe Mode, it would not boot up properly, so I had to shut it down using the power button. Now I've gotten to the point where Windows will start to load (you see the blue Windows logo after POST), but it ends up at a black screen.

Luckily, I also have a Linux partition on my computer, so I decided to boot into that. When I logged in and tried to access my Windows partition, it said that it could not mount it due to the fact that Windows was in Hibernation.

So now I'm in a situation where I clearly have a BitCoin miner on my system that won't go away, and I can't even boot into Windows because it won't come out of hibernation. My Linux OS suggested a way to mount the partition anyway, but I'm a bit nervous about doing that. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Any help will really be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 llamas612

llamas612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

So I was able to get my computer out of hinberation by pulling my battery out when it got to that black screen after the blue Windows logo, but now I still have to deal with the BitCoin miner malware. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users