Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard - can I save my Windows install ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Installing a new motherboard/memory/graphics card...

Is there any way possible to keep my current Windows 7 install, including all programs, etc ?

While I like the idea of a clean reinstall, I think in this case I would love to be able to keep all software "as is".

The thought of reinstalling everything I use, seems like a nightmare.

Of course drivers are a different issue, I know they have to be reinstalled for the most part.

So...

I've heard I will have to reinstall windows.

I've heard I can remove current GPU and revert back to the on-bard video and see if I get a screen with the new build and go from there.

I have also seen online references to software that would help me achieve this.

Any thoughts or advice ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

I have switched across an installation to a different system without re-installing a few times (XP, Vista and 7, haven't attempted 8).  It's not the recommended procedure, and I've never been totally happy with it (a clean install is I feel still a better option), but it seems to work.  There's no guarantee it will always work of course.

As far as Windows is concerned, you are swapping a large number of devices in one go.  Expect to go through a number of restarts as new devices are detected and drivers installed.

- Have all drivers for your new hardware ready

- You will have to re-activate Windows within a certain time period.  Every time I've done it, it's re-activated online without problems, but it's a potential sticking point, especially if your Windows is OEM licensed and it won't re-activate online.  I generally leave it until I'm satisfied it's working properly before activating Windows.  Bear in mind OEM Windows is licensed to a particular machine, and officially only like for like motherboard replacements are allowed, not upgrades...

- As always, back up anything irreplaceable before trying this.  Ideally, back up the full system image, so you can revert if it goes horribly wrong!

Edited by jonuk76, 17 October 2014 - 01:09 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Jon.

I have so much stuff installed, I just hate to do it again.

But now, I'm thinking of upgrading my SSD also.  I have an older OCZ 120GB and I may just pull that, save it as a back up, and get a Samsung 840 or 850 PRO.

And... maybe get Windows 8.1 and do a fresh install.

This "cheap" upgrade I started with, for a new MB and memory, is getting more expensive the more I keep planning it ;)

I tried Win 8... didn't care for it so stayed with Win7.   I have my laptop able to dual boot, but I find I never even use Win8.

But I'm reading about potential faster FPS in shooter games, plus I know 8.1 isn't as bad as I let myself believe it was when 8 came out.

Eh... who knows... I'm just trying to upgrade everything I can afford.. all at once.

Make it as clean as possible.

Thanks again for the info, and replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users