Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect modem to PC without rooter??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hello!

These past few days I've been having issues connecting to an online game, League of Legends. According to the support, the problem is on my side, not theirs. It's apparently true, as I can connect to my account without any problems on my friends PC.

I feel like my router may be causing some issues, so I tried plugging my modem out of the router and straight to my PC. However, I can't seem to get a working internet connection that way! How come my internet works just fine when connected to the router, yet it won't when I connect it right to my PC? 

Also, when I plug the modem in the computer, it says that there is an internet connection, yet I can't access the net with any of my browsers or log in to any of my online games.

Thank you for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hello!

These past few days I've been having issues connecting to an online game, League of Legends. According to the support, the problem is on my side, not theirs. It's apparently true, as I can connect to my account without any problems on my friends PC.

I feel like my router may be causing some issues, so I tried plugging my modem out of the router and straight to my PC. However, I can't seem to get a working internet connection that way! How come my internet works just fine when connected to the router, yet it won't when I connect it right to my PC? 

Also, when I plug the modem in the computer, it says that there is an internet connection, yet I can't access the net with any of my browsers or log in to any of my online games.

Thank you for reading!

Modems are known to hold the MAC address of the previous connection. More in the past than today you have to reboot the modem if you disconnect it from the router and directly into the PC. So start there.

You probably get more answers if you are at the roooter <---that was funny and modem with your PC and call support for your ISP provider. 

Note: routers are known to go bad. How long have you had yours? 

Also, did you power cycle the modem/router? 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

When connected by modem only you may want to do a ipconfig /all via command prompt and note if you have a gateway ip address.

You don't mention port forwarding in the router to LoL.  All online games need port forwarding to the static ip of your pc [which you have to set] to work properly.

These are the LoL ports.  You should drop by Portforward.com for more info on how to properly configure your router and pc.

5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
8088 TCP Spectator Mode

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

If you unplug your PC from the router and plug it into the modem but don't do anything to refresh your IP that can stop you from getting on as well. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

If you unplug your PC from the router and plug it into the modem but don't do anything to refresh your IP that can stop you from getting on as well. 

How can I refresh my IP? I know one way is to turn the modem of an back on, AKA power cycle, but you see, I live in a 5 story apartment building, and a lot of people here use the same modem, so I can't access it without calling over the ISP guys to do it for me.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

not on the modem...on your PC. at a command prompt type ipconfig /release press enter then type ipconfig /renew press enter.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

not on the modem...on your PC. at a command prompt type ipconfig /release press enter then type ipconfig /renew press enter.

Thanks, but could you break it down for me a bit? =P

Should I remove my router first, then do the commands, should my modem be plugged in my PC, cause I'm a little confused on what to do after what. Sorry if I sound like a total newb, cause I am >.<

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

I will simplify it.

Shutdown Computer:

Power Off the router and the modem together:

Then power on the following in this order:

Modem

WAIT 10 - MINUTES

ROUTER

WAIT 5 - MINUTES

PC

Test and report.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

If just connected to the modem all you have to do is reboot your pc if its just a matter of getting a ip address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users