Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PSU + Graphics Card. Power dies at windows bootup.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stumped99

Stumped99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi

My specs:
Asus p7p55d-e motherboard
i5-760 processor
8GB ram

I changed from a radeon 5770 to a radeon r92-270 graphics card and a Gigabyte 400w to a Corsair CX500 PSU.

Now the PC will boot but only as far as Windows, after that it immediately shuts down like the power has been cut. So... thinking it might be the graphics card drivers tried safe mode, and then took out the card and put my old one back.

With just the replaced PSU and original graphics card it won't even boot to safemode. I get a few seconds of my old desktop on a normal boot and nothing of safe mode before the power cuts again. I've re-checked all of my connections MANY times at this point.

What have I done wrong?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

My guess would be the power supply has an issue, try the original with psu with the original video card.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

Another thing you might check on is that the cpu heat sync wasn't bumped lose or broken. If the cpu is getting too hot it would also cause a shut down.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Stumped99

Stumped99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

Thanks, I shall check that first.

Might it have anything to do with the 4 pin/8pin cpu power connector? The motherboard had four with a cover over the other four (the original psu having four) but the new psu had an 8 pin that could be split in half. So I used the four. 

Would it make any difference if I uncovered the other four and plugged that in?

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

It shouldn't matter if you didn't change the cpu or clock speed, the extra pins are for extra voltage for power hungy cpu's or overclocking where you might need more power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users