Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Express 3.0 vs. 2.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

My new motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P has PCI Express 2.0 slots.

Since I bought it, a coworker is offering me a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 (rev 2) for $50 ... but it is PCI Express 3.0

My instincts tell me I won't be noticing much of a performance difference by just keeping the 2.0 slot.

But, before I open the motherboard and do the upgrade next week, does anyone think it is worth replacing the MB to a PCIe 3.0 ?

Uses are Photoshop, Battlefield (multiplayer),etc.

Thanks.

Edited by TNF, 17 October 2014 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

No it'll be fine.  The performance of the graphics card will not be restricted at all by the PCIe 2.0 x16 interface.  Some tests to show this - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html

It's actually not just the motherboard, the top end 990FX chipset doesn't support PCIe 3.0 either.  AFAIK you'd need to go with a different processor too (e.g. Intel Core 4xxx series) for PCIe 3.0.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

No it'll be fine.  The performance of the graphics card will not be restricted at all by the PCIe 2.0 x16 interface.  Some tests to show this - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html

It's actually not just the motherboard, the top end 990FX chipset doesn't support PCIe 3.0 either.  AFAIK you'd need to go with a different processor too (e.g. Intel Core 4xxx series) for PCIe 3.0.

Ah, ok.  I never considered the processor's influence.

Thank you for the response.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

In the case of the AMD FX, I think they could do it, but there are no new chip sets for those processors that support PCIe 3.0, to my knowledge.  And no real reason for AMD to invest in developing them, till they release a new FX line up anyway (if/when that happens).  The 9xx chipsets are a few years old now.  In Intel's latest, a PCIe 3.0 controller is built onto the CPU itself.  I think this is also true of the AMD FM3+ APU's. 

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users