Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iyappanseo

iyappanseo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:26 PM

Which one best anivirus for home PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

There is no such thing. However, I have been testing suites for years and found Bitdefender, Eset, Kaspersky, and Avira to always be consistently at the top

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

So Norton is nowhere. :) At the top Avira?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Alex&Vanko

I'm approaching the 2-year point with Norton "N360" on 3 PC's and have had no issues with high CPU usage due to Norton AV.  The only time I see any CPU usage from Norton is during definition updates for a few seconds at ~10% CPU usage.  The rest of the time the CPU usage is <1% according to Task Manager and Process Explorer stats.

I don't see a system-resource issue with my PC's but there are other factors that affect that,  For example, I'm not a PC "gamer" and I don't have a lot of apps/programs loaded in my PC's. I can see how other users could see a resource issue with Norton AV's since I know there are other AVs that are advertised as using less system resources.

Since I'm probably in the category of a more "basic" Windows PC user, system resource usage isn't as much a priority when selecting an AV product but I'm well aware that I'm probably not in the majority of PC users here.

I usually evaluate my AV's performance after a couple of years with my most important parameter considered being the AV's success rate of blocking unwanted intrusions into my PC.

Norton is my 3rd AV product since starting my home 'net use in 2004 and has been the best AV for me to this point but as many have mentioned here, it's a subjective topic and users' experiences with AV products often vary by wide margins.

For example, there's an AV product that's recommended at this forum which I had prior to switching to Norton about 2 years ago.  My experiences with the prior AV product wasn't as good as other members here have experienced but I know that there are numerous factors that should be considered when evaluating personal PC AV products.

I may try that product again since Norton has recently introduced their new AV product "Norton Security" which will result in an eventual phase-out of their current products "N360", "NIS", among others.  As with numerous new software products, it's experiencing some issues so I'll see how they adresss those issues in the coming months.

When it comes to discussing AV product experiences, my observations about this is that it's among the most diverse topics I've read on forums here and elsewhere.  Personal opinions and experiences tend to be all over the map. 

I read experienced user's opinions and recommendations here and elsewhere and it's very helpful when considering a choice for an AV product or any other topic, backup strategies, PC protection recommendations, etc.

Bottom line is it's up to the individual to arrive a the choice[s] that work best for their particular situations.

I look at it this way:

Rely on AV's and an antimalware-specific product to prevent >95% of intrusions and maintain backup strategies to provide a recovery tool in the event that the protection products allow an unwanted intrusion into the PC.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

...Rely on AV's and an antimalware-specific product to prevent >95% of intrusions and maintain backup strategies to provide a recovery tool in the event that the protection products allow an unwanted intrusion into the PC.

+1

#8 marry_smith

marry_smith

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

There are many antivirus that is suiatble for home as well as business users including norton, avg , avast , trend micro , kaspersky and mcafee etc. But according my view kaspersky internet security software is the best antivirus for home user.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

There are many antivirus that is suiatble for home as well as business users including norton, avg , avast , trend micro , kaspersky and mcafee etc. But according my view kaspersky internet security software is the best antivirus for home user.

Norton antivirus is best for pc.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552736/just-want-to-ask-a-simple-question-what-is-the-best-antivirus-to-have/?p=3512961

#10 AlmaBallard

AlmaBallard

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:04 AM

For me, since I was using Kaspersky for a year now I highly recommend it. Reduce business risk, lower costs and boost. IT efficiency.

Pros:

Provides optimum protection.
Easy to install.
One of the highest rated by independent test labs.
Doesn’t interfere with your computer programs
Easy-to-tweak settings.

#11 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

At the top Avira?

This ^^

#12 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Is the Microsoft security essentials null and void?

Pertaining cloud based, what about Ad aware???

#13 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

Well, I don't think that it would be most accurate to state that MSE is "null and void," but it is not so great from my experience of using it for a number of years in my humble opinion. In the discussion of free antivirus programs, MSE is probably alright; however, there is a stark difference between free antivirus programs and paid-for antivirus programs. It seems to be the case that free antivirus and antimalware programs are not nearly as effective and/or dynamic as paid-for ones. Safety seems to have its monetary price in the affairs of antivirus and antimalware protection.

As for the question about Ad-Aware, please read this quote:

Since I have never used Kaspersky I have to rely on my Security Colleague who have...what they say and what I read. So I would say Kaspersky is almost as light as ESET. Both come with trial versions so you can experiment and see what works best for your system. ESET removes easily.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

With that said and to be fair, the newer version of Ad-Aware Pro Security 10 has earned Certificates & Awards from AV-Test and did well in Virus Bulletin August 2013 Testing results.

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc....PCMag is not one of them.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

source: Here (It's actually a thread that I made not too long ago about antivirus programs in general and specific ones such as MSE, Ad-Aware, and ESET NOD32, Kaspersky.)

I will state that I am no expert. I am merely someone, who attempts to increase his limited knowledge on this very subject for the past two years or so.

#14 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:42 AM

Just a heads up:
No protection suite is 100% perfect all the time. Get a backup scanner plus security best practices (ie, which can go along with primary security software) in addition to your primary security software.
The best antivirus is your vigilance and alertness. Even the best of best cannot protect you from your own mistakes beyond an extend.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

Important Fact: No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Important Fact: It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Earlier this year, Bromium published “Endpoint Protection: Attitudes and Opinions,” a statistical analysis of more than 300 information security professionals. The results revealed that endpoints are vulnerable, anti-virus is ineffective and end users are a weak link.

End Users Remain Biggest Security Headache as Compromised Endpoints Increase

...falling victim to data breaches that resulted from attackers exploiting employees or company vendors. Unfortunately, along with exposing millions of identities these attacks also reveal what is often the weakest link in enterprise data security – the human element...

Social Engineering: Attacking the Weakest Link in the Security Chain

Recent surveys confirm that nadve users and risky online behavior make users a significant threat to their own networks...The risk of employees introducing malware to the company network was cited as a major concern by more than half of those surveyed. Nearly three-fourths stated that their network has been penetrated by malware as a result of Web surfing, and almost two-thirds declared that they had been compromised through email, just in the past year...

Studies prove once again that users are the weakest link in the security chain

2013 was a wildly visible year for cyber security and online privacy...And yet for all the visibility, punditry, and drama, new data suggests that internet users are still terrible at choosing a good password...

It’s 2014 And Our Passwords Aren’t Getting Better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users