Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need assistance diagnosing major system slowdowns


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RonanFrost

RonanFrost

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

After swapping cases between my primary machine and the system I'm building, the primary started having issues making it virtually unusable. We're talking click start, click control panel, wait 9 minutes at Best to see results.

Initially, I could only get the machine to be somewhat functional in safemode, without networking, where I cleaned up a few things, a couple malware items, nothing major, but the moment i tried anything with network access, it bogged, and I'd noticed the lights on my switch are just pinned out on, so I rebuilt the tcp/ip stack, swapped network switches, cables, etc. Eventually I tried running safemode with networking, and used internet exploder in private mode, because any attempts with chrome resulted in BFRS, and was able to limp along.

I ran glasswire to take a closer look at things, and it didn't seem like there was much outside of norm. Network activity potentially ruled out, I looked at the drive read/write, and noticed that it was maxed out, at a really slow rate (like 10kb/s), with prefetch going nuts. I've disabled prefetch which seems to help, and I've uninstalled Chrome, because it seems like google processes were another big part of the problem.

This all still felt to me like the one thing I Can't do much about, which would be a dying drive, but scandisk had come up empty, no bad sectors, so I was still hopeful. On a random wild hair I replaced the sata cable, to no avail. Obviously, not really caring too much, because in the end I can always just nuke and pave, I've been kind of aggressive with tools, having used malwarebytes, adware removal tool, Hitman Pro, adw, spybot s&d, and ultimately combofix, followed by ccleaner to clean up the registry mess.

I've done everything I know to identify the problem, and can't for the life of me figure it out. I'd really rather not have to steamroll it. I've had to do that enough from numerous issues with the previous motherboard and a fickle stick of ram. Help would be, of course, greatly appreciated.

 



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 54,864 posts
  • ONLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

Sounds like clean install time, based on all the fiddling that you've done.  Trying to establish a cause-effect chain at this point would be analogous to using a metal detector in the hope of finding gold treasure, IMO.

 

That is compounded by the fact that malware was found, which you believe that you have negated.  My opinion is that users using multiple tools in efforts to neutralize malware...are seldom effective.  That's one of the reasons we have such continuous flow in the BC malware forums after members have made private/personal efforts to mitigate the malware circumstance.

 

An erroneous assumption, IMO, made by many...is that there is only "the problem" when, in fact, there may be multiple problems.  A clean install provides a base from which you move in a straight line, as opposed to running in circles, IMO.

 

Louis






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users