Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failed To Install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Ziio

Aaron Ziio

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

I've been all over looking for a solution to my update failures.  Everything was working fine til about a week ago. Now I have 2 Important and 1 Optional update failing.  I've tried MS Fix it, installing each manually and I've check to see if they were installed before.  The updates are as:

KB2973351

KB2984972

and the optional one KB2973337

My error codes are 80073712 and 800B0100.

x64 Windows 7

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

Have you tried manually downloading/installing from Microsoft support site individually referring to the KB updates?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2973351

Tekken

#3 Aaron Ziio

Aaron Ziio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:27 PM

I tried manually downloading and installing both the required updates, they both failed to install. I didn't try the optional one.

Edited by Aaron Ziio, 16 October 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#4 Aaron Ziio

Aaron Ziio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

I just tried the optional update, it failed as well, same message "The following updates were not installed" with no error code.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

Try following the instructions posted here.

Edit : Microsoft Fixit Tool link.

Edited by Platypus, 11 January 2015 - 09:25 PM.

Tekken

#6 Aaron Ziio

Aaron Ziio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

I followed the instructions and cleared my Windows Update cache then rebooted and retried install, all three failed again.  I tried MS Fixit tool rebooted and they failed as well.

#7 ma2288

ma2288

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

I also am having this exact same problem with the same updates, plus another one. Updates KB2973337, KB2982378, KB2973351, and KB2984972 all fail to install with error code 800B0100. I have "googled" this error and found quite a few with the same error 800B0100. Some were for the same KB's and others were different. I have tried two different MS Fixit's, the system update readiness tool, and they still failed to update after each try and reboot. I manually downloaded the above updates from Microsoft download center, and they failed to install. I found several links about doing a net stop wuauserv and renaming the c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder and then restarting wuauserv and rebooting and then retrying and that also failed.

If I should start my own thread and work with someone else, that is fine, just let me know or if this is OK to jump in here, I will follow this thread. I am at my wits end. I would hat to have to reload windows because of MS update failures. Thanks in advance for any help!

#8 ma2288

ma2288

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

forgot to mention my laptop is a Dell M6600 running W7X64 and it does and has successfully updated other updates after these four have failed, so some do update but these four will not.

#9 Aaron Ziio

Aaron Ziio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

I ran the system update readiness tool, it showed 17 corrupt repair files. The log is attached.  I'm not to sure what this means, but I think it might help.

Attached Files

Edited by Aaron Ziio, 18 October 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#10 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

Hello,

There are a few corruptions here, but should be pretty straight forward to fix.

SURT Package replacement

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.
  • Click Here to download Packs.zip and save this to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on the file and select Extract All...
  • Tick the box labelled Show extracted files when complete then click Extract
  • A window will open showing two folders, Manifests and Packages
  • Open the Manifests folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
  • Open the Packages folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Servicing\Packages
  • Run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) again.
  • When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users