Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Failed 8.1 Update from Windows 8 Can't choose Exit and Continue to Window8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ITintraining

ITintraining

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

I was installing Windows 8.1 from 8 on a Toshiba laptop. Lost Internet connection at the very last part of the download and couldn't reconnect. So I cut the computer off and when I cut it back on to reconnect so I could start over I was trying to reinstall Windows 8 as it suggested and it then went to a Choose an Option blue screen with 5 different options to choose from. I chose Continue Exit and Continue to Windows 8. It started loading but every time it goes back to the blue Choose an Option screen. I would just like to get back in to reconnect to the Internet so I can start the 8.1 update over. Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by ITintraining, 16 October 2014 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YuriP

YuriP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

Hello

Have you tried to revert the pending update through Command Prompt that might hopefully solve the problem for you. But I'm afraid the update has already been applied then only a refresh can fix this problem, lets try the reverting first:

Open Troubleshoot

Choose Advanced Options

Choose Command Prompt

Then type DISM /image:C\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions and hit enter

Then type move C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.old then hit enter

Reboot the device afterwards, if you get a FILE not found then replace C: with X: that might help ;) (See step by step video and guide here)

#3 ITintraining

ITintraining
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thank you YuriP. Had class all morning. Gladly I ended up figu ring out that I could refresh it to the time right before the download through the Advanced Options menu. Once again thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users