Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stream from nas to TV via tablet.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

I want to be able to stream content from my zyxel nas to a non smart TV via my Samsung Galaxy note 8 tablet. I'd like it work in the same way as an iPad streams iTunes content from an iMac to an Apple TV device.

The tablet becomes like a remote client to the iMac using the local iTunes app on the tablet to access and control the media on the iMac but played back on the TV via apple TV and airplay.

Hope that makes sense?

Is there a device that I can plug in my TV that will allow my Android tablet to achieve something in parallel with the apple set up but with nas as the media server instead of the iMac?

I'd rather not have the tablet screen mirrored on the TV that some solutions use. I'd like to be able to build playlists on the fly and just have the TV display what is playing (if music) or the video / image in full screen.

I also have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 (dlna) if it's of any relevance. Also I don't use iTunes.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aod_, 16 October 2014 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

Found this initially http://www.samsung.com/us/watchon/ and see if the features are supported on your setup.

Tekken

#3 Kewbla

Kewbla

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Would chromecast suit your needs? Load content from nas on tablet then push to the tv.

#4 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Would chromecast suit your needs? Load content from nas on tablet then push to the tv.

Thanks for the suggestion. Since posting I did a bit more reserach (this has been on-going for about a year!), and came across Plex. It appears this does more or less exactly what I want to do - via Chromcast. I was under the impression that Chromecast initially only enabled Chrome tabs and google apps to be cast, but it seems other apps have since been added.

I bought a Chromecast yesterday and spend some time setting up Plex on my NAS (pretty tricky, requires telnet and some linux stuff, but found good guides). It's pretty good, although my NAS isn't particularly powerful so some features don't work, but overall it does what i want. Just need to sort a few niggles out in Plex.

After scouring the internet for 12 months +, I've finally found something that does what I want!

Edited by aod_, 18 October 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#5 Kewbla

Kewbla

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Glad to help _

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users