Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to put programs on the desktop please?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

I am not understanding the instructions on the net so I would like to ask for help here please. I installed MS Office on this unit, in win7 in START->All Programs you can expand any software suite to see all utilities of that package, how/where can I see this in win8 or also how can I find it and place this on the desktop please?

I am not understanding the instructions on the net so I would like to ask for help here please. I installed MS Office on this unit, in win7 in START->All Programs you can expand any software suite to see all utilities of that package, how/where can I see this in win8 or also how can I find it and place this on the desktop please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, I experimented and found ways to add MS Office to the desktop and taskbar

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820848

but what I am missing now is how to add them to the apps section?

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

...but what I am missing now is how to add them to the apps section?

What "apps section" are you referring to?  Can you describe how you get to this "apps section"?

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

When you go into windows and click on the icon in the lower bottom left of the first screen shows a lot of icons like in touchscreen mode and on the right it says 
Toshiba Apps, I am wondering if there is a way to show an icon anywhere on that touchscreen area?

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Could you post a screenshot of this "touchscreen area"?

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/windows-81-RTM_zps1648ad47.jpg

#7 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

Wow, you're right. I never noticed there was no add Desktop icon in the metro ui... weird.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

OK, you had me confused there.  That's the Start Screen in your screenshot whereas in the heading for your thread you mention the Desktop.

By default, Windows 8 only allow you to pin certain file types (like exe files) and folders to the Start Screen.  However, there's a registry hack that's describe in this article that will allow you to pin any file to the Start Screen.  As usual, you should always exercise care and back up the Registry whenever you make changes to it.

[Edit]

OK, I have re-read your first post and I see you have installed MS Office and you want to have tiles for it on your Start Screen.  I don't use MS Office but I'll try to explain how to pin a tile to the Start Screen for any program you install.  Also, I'm on Windows 8.1 Update so if you are on Windows 8 you may find the screenshots a bit different but not too much.

1.  If you are on the Desktop, go to the Start Screen by clicking the Start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.

JzLUgeQ.jpg

2.  On the Start Screen, click the arrow in a circle near the bottom left corner.  This will take you to the Apps View.

7SBRzDH.jpg

3.  In the Apps View, scroll left or right until you see the App you wish to pin to the Start Screen.  (Note: I don't use MS Office so I will use another App as an example).

4.  When you find the App, right-click it and from the Context Menu click "Pin to Start".

kRiX4fi.jpg

And that's it!  A new tile for the App will be pinned to the Start Screen.  You can drag the new tile to any position you like or resize it.

Edited by Agouti, 18 October 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yes, sorry I used the wrong terminologies and thank you very much for your efforts and for solving this issue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users