Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems with ASUS RT-N66U Router


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'm having problems with the router UI. When I open 192.168.1.1 and click on Connection or Clients button, it opens up a new tab which is totally unmanageable and useless, instead of opening in a small area on the original tab. SSID names are also shown like Name|nbsp;2.4G and Name|nbsp;5G (instead of | is &), so it's like the page is having problems with formatting HTML or something. I've tried rebooting the router, updating firmware, resetting to default, opening the settings page in other browsers, but the issue still persists. Please help me solve this!

Thanks!



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

  • Members
  • 24,429 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Try disabling your security software. If that does not work, uninstall it.

#3 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hm, I'm not sure if uninstalling my security software will do me good, it may cause even more problems later.. Disabling it changed nothing...

 

Edit: I rebooted my PC into safe mode (I guess the effect is the same as uninstalling my AV software), but it didn't fix the problem.


Edited by A6Tech, 16 October 2014 - 06:22 PM.


#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

  • Members
  • 24,429 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

In the administrtor section, change authentication method to https from http.

 

I found this thread. Web interface broken. One of the suggestions was to do the above.

 

Edit: Did you try a different Ethernet Cable? Not sure if this would cause your problem but it may be worth a try.


Edited by JohnC_21, 16 October 2014 - 06:39 PM.


#5 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

I tried changing to HTTPS, but still the same. I also connected to WiFi and accessed the router without Ethernet cable, still the same problem. I have Eset Smart Security 6 and Mlawarebytes' Anti Malware installed. Are there some settings in ESS or MAM that are blocking some resources the router is using?



#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

  • Members
  • 24,429 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

In post #2 of the link I posted the poster said it was a know problem with Eset. But this is more for the problem of the Web interface itself bing blocked.  I am not familiar with Eset but on their forums there was a similar question. You might want to ask the question on the Eset or Asus forum.

 

Edit: I just wanted add something I forgot. Have you tried accessing the router on a different computer? If the same problem occurs, I would think the router is defective.


Edited by JohnC_21, 17 October 2014 - 06:58 AM.


#7 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

I flashed my router with Merlin 3rd party firmware, and now everything works flawlessly! :D



#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

  • Members
  • 24,429 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad it got sorted out. I have heard or tomato and dd-wrt firmware but not Merlin. I will have to check it out. Thanks.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users