Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU and Disk Usage Following Windows 8.1 Update...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ongie

Ongie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hello denizens of Bleeping Computer,

A bit of a long yarn here. Please bear with me.

I'm having some difficulty with my HP Envy M6 laptop. Things were fine until an automatic update ran two days ago. I'd been delaying the update to 8.1, but Windows updated itself while I was momentarily away from the computer. 

I came back to find the update had finished, but there were problems. The screen was blinking with my blue desktop theme color, and I was unable to even access my desktop. Finally, I was able to go back and choose the "restore" option.

However, for some reason, there were no restore points listed before the update. Rats! So I went back and chose to "refresh" my computer which seemed to work. Only one catch: the system is running loudly continually, lagging quite a bit, and there's a marked increase in CPU and disk usage in Task Manager. I have no idea what happened.

I've since updated Windows to 8.1 and run every update I could find, still to no avail. I've tried running MalWareBytes, disabled "Windows Search" and "Super Fetch" processes (which are common culprits). Curiously, CCleaner found quite a few .dll errors that keep popping up even when I choose to "fix" them. But it looks like these issues are beyond my novice understanding of Windows.

Here's a screenshot of Task Manager from a moment ago...

jWnUW4Q.jpg

Note: The usage had dipped low when I took that screenshot. It's usually much higher. Oftentimes the disk usage is at 100%. It seems like the biggest hogs of disk usage are "system" and "windows problem reporting". 

I'm lost in the woods here. Would it be beneficial to backup my files and simply reinstall Windows from scratch? 

I'm losing my mind! :(

Edited by Ongie, 16 October 2014 - 04:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

This smells like an infection of some type

I'm going to ask a moderator to move your thread into the 'am I infected" forum so you can get expert assistance

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hello,

You stated that these problems started happening after an update?  I seriously doubt at this point that this has to do with an infection.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'm lost in the woods here. Would it be beneficial to backup my files and simply reinstall Windows from scratch? 

Ongie, if you created your recovery disk set, or have reinstall media for Windows 8, yes that's a great idea. 

If you have a backup from a known working time, that would be great too, however I doubt you'd be posting if that were the case. 

As with many of us, including myself, there's been many issues with the 8.1 upgrade, which for some purposes, is the same as a service pack. This is because after January 12, 2016, MS will no longer support Windows 8 customers who didn't make the leap, which is consistent with the issuing of a SP. MS is an evolving corporation, and being so, they try new things, and we're the ones they experiment on, however being that Windows 8 is no longer a Preview, it shouldn't be that way. 

I'm hopeful that MS has came away with a lesson learned, the one of fixing things that needs it & not those that aren't broken. Their side was that new features were added. It was that way when the Windows Firewall became available, software that many of us still uses, and it shipped in SP2 of Windows XP. Other features, rollups, performance & security enhancements has been included with traditional service packs, so there was no need to issue an upgrade OS (not an ideal install at all) for what amounted to an SP. 

Currently have two of these 8.1 OS's, one is about 95% right, the other close to 90%, and have a clean install of Windows 8 on my main PC that I won't put through this. And to the best of my knowledge, there's no well published way to disable these Notifications, would be great if disabling Store ones would to the trick, but that doesn't work either. Someone likely knows how to, but any top insiders will never publish it, for fear of being blacklisted by Microsoft reporting (does Mary Jo Foley come to mind?). 

So my suggestion would be to clean install Windows 8, and see what MS does with Windows 10, once released. Like Windows 8 & 7, there'll likely be low cost promos, and hopefully, like with Windows 8, there will be a clean install option available, though MS didn't make this known prior to release either. It was a late breaking report by Ed Bott, hours before the release, that revealed how to clean install the OS. 

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users