Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont boot with graphics card inserted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MADDxDOGG

MADDxDOGG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hello i have a Ati radeon 4550 and a hp compaq pro 6005 small form factor pc and i have a phenom ii x4 965 black edition with 4gb ram... i had a 4550 low profile card and now my computer fails to come on at all when the card is in the computer it did work at one time but now it doesnt work at all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

If you completely remove the ATI Radeon 4550 videocard, does your computer startup up okay, and does the integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 video output work okay for you?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 MADDxDOGG

MADDxDOGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Yes it does perfect no problems

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Okay, now we know that at least your integrated graphics will work.  The trick is to narrow down what might be wrong with your external graphics card.

You might try removing the card completely, then re-inserting it, just to make sure it wasn't slightly loose.  Make sure you insert into a PCI-express 2.0 x16 slot.  This is an older card that does not appear to have a requirement to plug in a power cable to it, but you might want to verify just to be sure.

Then, reboot your computer and before Windows starts, go into your BIOS and change the settings to use your external graphics versus the integrated graphics.

Your external HD 4550 card should hopefully work now, but your display may look funky as Windows probably loaded basic video drivers at this point.

Finally, if all is still going well, go to the following website to find and install the latest drivers for your ATI Radeon 4550 videocard: 

http://www.official-drivers.com/installer/?seed=ati&gclid=CKGr3fyBt8ECFYSPMgodTDkAWQ

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Did you disable the on board when booting up?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 MADDxDOGG

MADDxDOGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

It automatically disables on board and i tried in 8x and 16x i think i'm just going to get nvidia gt 730 low profile Thanks any way though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users