Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice wanted on hard drive replacement-Acer Aspire 5750-6414

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akmblues

akmblues

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

I got an error message a few days ago stating there was a HARD DISK FAILURE of the C: (which is the only drive) and should backup my files.  I'm hoping to get some advice on replacing the hard drive. I've got an Acer Aspire 5750-6414 laptop. The problem I am having trouble with is the existing 500GB hard drive is listed as SERIAL ATA-300... only I can't find anything listed as a "300".  Does anyone know if this is the same as any of the following:

-Serial ATA

-Serial ATA 2

-Serial ATA 3

-Serial ATA III

-Serial ATA 6

I am looking for an inexpensive, but equivalent replacement and don't really understand what would be compatible as well as fit.

I was also wondering if INSTEAD OF or IN ADDITION TO purchasing another drive are there any System Tools that might "fix" the problem like running the Scan Disk or Disk Defrag or ?

or if I could just partition the existing drive and move everything to a newly partitioned D: drive - to bypass whatever the problem(s) may be with the C:

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

At present, the computer is still up & running- seemingly okay- tho, I keep expecting that at any moment this won't be the case. 

(In order to back up my files I plan on buying a Toshiba 1T, external USB portable hard drive for $48)

Any help or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2014 - 04:34 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

If you haven't done a backup of your entire hdd...image backup...then that should be your priority. A hdd can fail at anytime.

You can use Windows 7 own backup tool for doing that. It is a smaller Acronis backup tool. Assuming you are using Windows 7.

Concerning the '300'......from the web:

"SATA-300" is a poor slang, VERY likely meaning SATA II. The proper term is SATA 3 Gb/s. A lot of people convert Gb (Gigabits) to GB (Gigabytes) by simply dividing by 10 - a reasonable approximation. 3 Gb = 3,000 Mb = 300 MB. and that's where the "300" comes from.

You can test your hdd using the program supplied by your hdd manufacturer. If it is a Seagate, use this.

SeaTools | Seagate

You can also use chkdisk:

1. Open the "Computer" window
  2. Right-click on the drive in question
  3. Select the "Tools" tab
  4. In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Edited by buddy215, 16 October 2014 - 01:35 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 akmblues

akmblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hey, thanks for your quick reply and very useful information. 

I ran the chkdsk and it came up clean--no errors-- so I was wondering if there is any way to determine why I got the 'C: Hard Disk Failure' message in the first place...  Does it mean that there is something wrong with the drive itself or with the information that is stored on the drive? 

I plan on trying the troubleshooting tools from the manufacturer (Toshiba) after I locate them.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Gremlin...:)...possibly

But I would definitely....regardless of whether it was a false warning....create a backup image on an external medium.

According to this Seatools will work on a Toshiba.

SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Chkdsk is NOT a hard drive diagnostic...it's only concerned with the partition and file structure and reports/addresses problems on issues encountered when scanning the volume.  Chkdsk cannot fix or even necessarily define all the problems that it may run into as it checks the volume.  IMO, MS gave the tool a poor name that misleads many, it should be called something like "volcheck" for volume check because that is what it does.

The hint for that should be the facf that each partition of a hard drive...has a separate chkdsk function for that partition.

Hard drive diagnostics are required if the functional status of the hard drive is in question.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users