Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenH264 Video Codec

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki*

Nikki*

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

I don't know if this is a virus or what. I have searched and searched and cannot find anything about it. I noticed it on one of our computers yesterday. I was able to turn the add-on to "Never Activate" and turn the update "off". But it does not give me the option to delete it. I looked in the place on the computer where you can delete programs (sorry I don't know the technical name for it) and did not see it there.

The name that is listed in the Firefox add-ons is: OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.1

Help please :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,151 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

Moved from AII forum to Web Browser as it is not malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nikki*

Nikki*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

Moved from AII forum to Web Browser as it is not malware.

Sorry. I don't know what the program is.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

I just ran into this myself, and apparently this plugin now comes with Firefox by default.

See: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

#5 caBarbieQ

caBarbieQ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

So, What is it? Do I "need" this? Does it have anything to do with DRM content or copyright material? Will it allow WebRTC without need of more plugins etc.?  Does it do any tracking? (Pretty sure it does track because I found several new entries in my bookmarks that I know I didn't bookmark! ie: searches I did/sites I went to more than once today among other things - These were in my "BOOKMARKS" not history!) If it traces &/or has anything to do with WebRTC, how do I get it off /out of my system, because, until they come up with very good ways to protect my privacy, I don't want it - especially when it was automatically downloaded and installed without my consent or knowledge! I don't want to just disable - I want it GONE!

Edited by caBarbieQ, 17 January 2016 - 01:08 AM.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

OpenH264 is the most popular and important codec on the Web. The vast majority of HTML5 streaming video is encoded using H.264. It comes now conveniently with Firefox. Removing this might cause you a lot more problems than imaginary privacy issues. No need to be paranoid with Internet tracking. 

If you're concerned about "tracking", there are settings in Firefox to help prevent it. There are tons of add-ons you can install as well.

Edited by Phantom010, 17 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users