Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not powering on, fans not spinning up and no lights.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trsteinmetz

Trsteinmetz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

I have two computers that developed the same exact problem yesterday. Despite both of these pcs not showing any signs of life, the usb power on both of them seems to be fully functional. This started last night with my brother's pc going out while he was gaming and now my computer is showing the same exact symptoms, despite being made of completely different components. I'm at my wit's end trying to fix these. I've tried different wall sockets, I've tried disconnecting components down to a baseline, I've tried clearing the cmos and making sure the Power button is connected right. I'm not sure what else to try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trsteinmetz

Trsteinmetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Update. After disconnecting the power and holding the power button to ckear power from the mobo, and plugging it back in and trying to power it on, the cpu fan seems to start spinning but immediately stops.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

You want to pray that it is just the PSU (Power Supply Unit). Lay the PC on its side with the side off, set another PSU on top of the one bolted in, connect the two systemboard power connectors and the video card if it needs it, then turn it on. If you are lucky, you'll get an error on the screen about no boot devices! If you do, try the other PC then go about replacing the bad PSU(s)
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Trsteinmetz

Trsteinmetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

It did indeed turn out to be the PSUs on both. I guess there was a surge of some kind on the breaker we were on.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

That's about the cheapest fix for no boot, no wheedle, no cursor there is! I'm glad you fixed it.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users