Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email claiming to be from Halifax

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusPotter

MarcusPotter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hello, I've recieved an email claiming to be from my bank Halifax as follows:

Dear Customer, 

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures with affiliated banks, we have detected a slight error in your account information!

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Multiple failed attempts on online shopping websites.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

Click here to update and verify your information

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Fraud Prevention Unit
Legal Advisor
Halifax Online Banking.

© 2013 Halifax Bank Plc.

I knew it was spam as I found it in that folder but to be sure I called the bank on the online helpdesk number I found online and they confirmed they didn't send it, instructing me to forward it to them on security@hbosplc.com then when I pointed out that bounced back, security@halifax.co.uk which also bounced back and to finally delete the email before running an antivirus scan so after running an F Secure full scan that detected nothing I asked in a chatroom what to do and one of them pointed me here so can you please advise?

Thanks.

Edited by MarcusPotter, 16 October 2014 - 10:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pixielala

Pixielala

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Did you download anything? Visit the website listed in the email and login? If you said, "No," to both of those questions, don't worry. It appears that email was a phishing attempt, as they wanted you to login to their spoofed website. 

In the future, when you see an email like that, hover your cursor over the website's address (URL,) and if it's not the one that you'd normally use to do business with them, do not login, and forward it to their fraud division. 

#3 MarcusPotter

MarcusPotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Nope to question one but I did try the website to answer question two but I didn't login as it wouldn't let me giving a 404 so should I worry? I knew it was a scam when I did that check.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

Any email that claims the following items is a Fraud ........

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Multiple failed attempts on online shopping websites.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

These are just typical of the people asking you for your account numbers.

Fraud Prevention Unit
Legal Advisor
Halifax Online Banking.

© 2013 Halifax Bank Plc.

This would not be your normal bank or account (which would be listed)

#5 MarcusPotter

MarcusPotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thanks by a weird coincidence this is my normal bank so more importantly am I infected? Thx.

#6 Pixielala

Pixielala

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

How could you get infected? You didn't download anything, or open any attachments.

But, it's entirely possible that you just gave some thieves your login information because you tried to login to their version of your bank's website. You did say that you tried the link in the email? And that it "wouldn't let [you] login?" That's not an attempt to infect your computer, that's an attempt to steal your login information--and it might've worked.  

Go to the Halifax website that you usually use, not the link from the email. And change your password. Then either check your recent transaction history to see if anything's weird, or call the bank and explain that you need to change your password due to an email phishing attempt. 

In the future, if you ever get an email from your 'bank' again, do not use the embedded link. Use the regular URL (website address) that you use to conduct online transactions. And make sure that the URL listed in the address bar at the top of your browser starts with https://  That 's' means that it's a secure site. 

Good luck!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

It's a Phishing scam that uses spoofed email and fraudulent Web sites which appear to come from or masquerade as legitimate sources. The fake emails and web sites are usually created by random attackers and designed to fool respondents into disclosing sensitive personal or financial data which can then be used for financial gain and/or identity theft. The email directs the user to visit a web site where they are asked to update personal information such as passwords, user names, and provide credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate organization already has.

How to Avoid Phishing Scams:

Email & Attachments: How to Protect Yourself Tips from Microsoft:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 MarcusPotter

MarcusPotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

I didn't give any details so these can't have been compromised

Edited by MarcusPotter, 18 October 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

Probably not. I provided the above information to help you protect yourself from future phishing attempts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users