Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems setting up router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pladopus

Pladopus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:27 PM

Before you recommend getting a wifi router and adapters..etc. I'm trying to work with what I got right now so I'd prefer to get this working the way I'm trying to now if it's possible before going out and buying new hardware or rearranging everything.

I'll try to explain the best I can.

My desktop computer is getting internet from a roommates computer downstairs via an ethernet cord, the computer downstairs has internet connection sharing enabled.

And this works fine, good speed, suits my purpose..etc. BUT I have a secondary desktop PC upstairs I want to set up as well so I got a cheap dynex router from a friend as he had bought a new one (tested fine at his house so I don't think it's broken)

- I plug the ethernet cord coming from downstairs into the WAN port, wan port lights up.

- I then run another cat5 cable from one of the ports to the desktop PC (not the new one, the one that already had internet just to test things) and the port light comes on the router but no internet.

Note: I have the router UPSTAIRS, not downstairs, I'm trying to split it that way, so there's 2 routers in the house.  Otherwise I'll have to buy wifi gear or run a secondary ethernet cable (expensive being how far I'd have to run it) but I thought I would be able to just use the secondary router as a simple splitter, but turns out it must not be that simple..

I don't get any warning about devices having the same IP..etc. just no internet. But when I don't try to run it through the router and plug the cord directly into the PC I get internet.. So It must be some type of configuration I have to do to get this working properly. I tried resetting it, restarting the PC..etc.

Thanks if you can help.

Edited by Pladopus, 15 October 2014 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

turn off DHCP, turn off wireless if it has it, and just use it as a switch. Don't plug it into the WAN port. FYI, a 50 ft cat6 cable is under $8

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Pladopus

Pladopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks that's what I tried to do, after making this thread last night I did a little more reading and I disabled DHCP from within the router but when I do that suddenly I can't access the router's settings page and still no internet. I tried changing the router's ip address and subnet mask too. :/

it doesn't have wifi, it's just a simple cheap 4 port ethernet broadband router. (Dynex DX-E402)

what do you mean by don't plug it into the WAN Port?

you mean plug both ethernet cords into the LAN Ports? I think I tried that as well, I also tried plugging the ethernet cord coming from downstairs into the LAN port and ran a cord from the WAN port my computer.. Those ways don't make much sense to me though.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,623 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

As CaveDweller2 posted, you do not use the WAN port of the Dynex. Follow the steps here. Use method one shown. You will need to find a IP address outside of the DHCP range of your friends router and use that in the LAN setting of the Dynex, not the WAN settings.

#5 Pladopus

Pladopus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

WOOOOOO YEAHH I got it working! Time too partayyyyy get my groove onnn. thanks guys! :bananas: :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users