Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD FX 8350 vs 2.33GHz Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thordendal

Thordendal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi Forumers

im new here so hope everyone can give good advice and nice here... hoping to buy some equipment for my studies (MCSA 2012) and was thinking which processor should i get.

AMD FX 8350 (With 32gb ram)

2 x 2.33GHz Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor (With 32 gb Ram)

Mainly i want to use it with hyper v or vmware workstation. hope helpful input from all of you. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jaykowalski

jaykowalski

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

For multi-core operations AMD should be better. But when it comes about performance/thread, intel wins

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

What Xeon processors exactly?  There's a massive price difference between those two systems if you're talking about current hardware.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Thordendal

Thordendal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

it is the  Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5410. yup there's a massive price different, that is why im comparing both of it, to whether i need to splurge money on an expensive DIY machine or just buy a normal HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 5 used one just to study for my MCSA 2012

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

So comparing an ageing but still powerful rack mount server against a DIY desktop PC :)  I think you need to consider the whole package as well as the CPU choice.  The FX8350 is 5-6 years newer than the Xeon E5410, and it operates at a much higher clock speed.  The only real performance comparison I can find is Passmark where the FX8350 gets a higher score than the Dual E5410 by about 50%.   Dual E5410  FX8350  This is just a comparison of processing power and I suspect the main reason for the AMD's lead is it's 4ghz speed.  Both are likely to be "quick enough".

Some things I noticed:

The HP server uses DDR2 FB DIMMs.  If it doesn't have the memory you need when you buy it, 32Gb of this could be very expensive if you have to buy new RAM.  The AMD desktop PC uses standard common DDR3 (can support ECC RAM too, I believe).

The HP server has very basic integrated graphics (relatively low resolution, poor for full time desktop machine) but then it's a server.  It does have PCIe slots though. The AMD system would use whatever normal PCIe video card.

I think the AMD PC would likely be a better choice for a desktop machine that can run VMWare comfortably.  If you actually need a server and the features that come with that (hot swap drive bays, rack mounting etc. etc.) then the HP would be more suitable.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 October 2014 - 10:32 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users