Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesn't recognize external optical drive...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 olylance

olylance

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'll try to be brief.

1st, I didn't see a topic dealing exactly with my problem. So here goes.

I bought an Inspiron 15 laptop w/o an OS, and the optical drive didn't work. The seller made me aware of this and said I needed to buy an external optical drive to install Vista. He gave me the Vista install/repair disk (and the drivers disk).

While I was waiting for the optical drive to be delivered I loaded Ubuntu from a disk I had made. Don't ask me why the Linux disk would work using the internal drive but the Vista disk won't. Baffling.

So I recieved a new external optical drive and went to work on installing Vista over the Linux OS. I erased the Linux 1st. Then tried to install Vista, but no matter what I did (changing the boot order etc) the laptop doesn't "find" or "see"an OS to install. In other words I can't boot it up with the Vista OS disk using the external drive.

I can provide any details you may need. Fortunately I also have a desktop computer to work from.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

Things to check;

1. The Vista install disk is almost certainly a DVD disk.

2. The Linux disk is probably just an ordinary CD (you would know).

3. Modern ODDs have 2 lasers, one for DVD and one for CD.

4. It's possible for the DVD laser to fail, but the CD laser will work fine. This explains why the Linux CD would load, but the Vista disk won't.

5. So, since the internal ODD loaded the Linux disk, but not the Vista disk, then the DVD laser has failed on the internal ODD. If you replace the internal ODD with a new one, you should be good-to-go.

Now, regarding the external drive;

1. Is it a DVD drive? If not, it needs to be.

2. Is it externally powered, or does it get it's power from the USB port? It needs to be externally powered, because USB power is notoriously finicky for heavy load operations.

To summarize... the ODDs need to be DVD capable to load a Vista disk.

#3 olylance

olylance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

1. The Vista disk is a DVD

2. The Linux disk (which I made) is on a DVD/RW 4.7gb

3. The internal ODD is a CD/DVD/RW. I am not sure about the lasers, 1 or 2. (I was able to install Vista Home Premium on the desktop I am using right now using The Vista disk and the internal ODD)

Regarding the new external ODD:

It is a CD/RW and DVD/ROM and gains its power from the USB on the laptop.

So to summarize: I would be better off buying a new internal ODD DVD/RW and returning the external ODD. 

Does that sound about right?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

Yes. Usually internal ODDs are not very expensive. But I would check on how easy it is to get a replacement ODD for the lappy. You may have no choice but to get an externally powered external ODD. Sometimes USB power just doesn't have enough 'oomph'.

Edited by ElfBane, 17 October 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#5 olylance

olylance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yes I agree. So I have earmarked internal and external ODD's for this lappy on ebay. I'll get the internal 1st, then the external if I need to. Gotta wait till payday though.

Internals are @ $20 and the same with externals.

Thanks for the input Elfbane

Edited by olylance, 17 October 2014 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users