Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 100% disk usage.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kewbla

Kewbla

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hello all

My wifes work computer seems to suffer from a disk usage bottle neck. Most of the time its tje indexer. Does this service need to be active to search properly? Also i was under the impression that the indexer doesnt run while the computer is in use. Is this true and could there be any other culprits causing this?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

Indexing will make some searches faster but no, it is not required. In fact, I never use Windows built-in search function. I use "Everything" search (http://www.voidtools.com/). It's free (donationware) and absolutely outstanding.

Having said that, the indexing service shouldn't run at 100% cpu (I assume you mean cpu usage and not disk usage). Go ahead and disable it and see if the problem goes away. But you might also want to run full scans with both your installed anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users