Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer X193w screen is going black. How do I fix?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

My monitor's screen is cutting off. However, the power button is still lit. It started a few weeks ago. At first the screen would go black (again power button would still be lit blue) when I would log on. It didn't matter if I was logging on into my admin account or guest. The blackout would still happen.

Around last  Saturday it has been blacking out more frequently, and not just at log in. It especially does this if I go to certain websites like Capital One for instance. If I just push the (still lit) power button it then goes off, and comes back on to a lit screen. I have to do this every time the monitor blacks out. How do I stop it from blacking out period? Or do I need a new monitor?

Monitor manufactured date says 2009.

Computer Lenovo

OS Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:13 AM

You need to determine whether it is actually the monitor, or an intermittent video output failure from the PC. This is done by trying another monitor OR changing video outputs from the PC (this can be done by switching from integrated to discrete outputs {or the reverse}). If you don't have integrated video capability, then you would need to try another video card.

Video cards are expensive, unless you have a known good spare laying around,,, and they tend to completely fail instead of becoming intermittent. So the better option is to try another monitor. If you don't have an old monitor sitting around, then borrow one.

Hope this helps.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

What model is this Lenovo?

Did you check your VGA connections?

To determine if this is a driver issue try booting into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is the one which was install with Windows 7, so the quality will not be the best.  But if the picture remains stable this could be driver related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

Lenovo H420

I did think it might be a driver issue, and when I checked I did indeed need to update them. I did so and for now the screen has stopped going black at login. However, it still does do when I go to some webpages.

I'm assuming VGA is the blue cord that goes from the monitor to the computer? It's fine as far as I know.

Edited by fantasy09, 19 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

The monitor has two cords, the power cord and the VGA cord.  The VGA is the one which runs between the monitor and the computer.

Did you download the driver at the Lenovo website?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

The Lenovo website doesn't seem to have support for my computer anymore.

I put the Acer monitor to a old gaming computer I have. it blacked screen there as well.  After I put it back to the Lenovo it was black screening on the internet within seconds. Go to a website, black screen, try to go to a website black screen. It blacked screened on safe mode as well.  It also has now gone completely crazy It flickers on and off on the Acer logo screen. I can't even go to the login screen.

I went to device manger and downloaded any new drivers I needed there. I even downloaded something called  Tweaking. com hardware Identify from this website to see if i might have missed any outdated drivers and the results came back all fine.

I put an old Dell M770 monitor on the Lenovo. The computer loaded with a black screen. I had to login with the screen still dark. When I logged in all the icons were gone. I right clicked on something to do with graphics, on the desktop, and then they all appeared. So far it works.It hasn't been doing what the Acer does.

I wonder if what happened at login, and the icons being gone, has something to do with this being such an old monitor the Lenovo had trouble recognizing it?

If I need a new monitor. What are some good brands? :)

Edited by fantasy09, 28 October 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

I would suggest that you post this question in the System Building and Upgrading forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users