Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy machine - minor repair needed - or white elephant?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Okay, so for years I wanted my own copy machine, and a few years back I was given one by a small business next door to where I worked at the time. They were going out of business and had this Canon PC720 copier - and said it worked fine till a little white nylon wheel inside it broke. I could see the broken part and I even had a go at opening up the thing to try and get to it. No luck - but I did get it put back together.

Fast forward a few years to 2011 - I moved, and the copier ended up in my van where it's been ever since. Meanwhile I have had hernia repairs and dare not lift anything that heavy, and have no hubby to lift it :workout: and even though it's not huge, I probably don't really have room for it where I live. 

I'm trying to get excess stuff out of my van, but things like the copier tend to be forgotten in the day to day. Every once in awhile, like now, it comes to mind. I've tried Google searches and things but mainly get hits for toner cartridges. I remember back when I had tried calling copier shops locally about it, but they'd charge me just to look at it, and I'm poor. So I'm beginning to lean toward donating it or otherwise getting rid of it. Does this sound like the best decision, given that if I could just get that one part replaced I'd have a nice workhorse of a copier even if I had to put it in my storage unit till I get bigger living quarters?

I realize this probably all sounds stupid to be so indecisive about it. But I think of the things I could do with a copier at home - because I do creative writing (I could print booklets of poetry or other things I write), and art (toner based copiers can be used for some really cool mixed media image transfers) - and I copy other things I'm interested in for writing research. It'd be nice not to have to run to the copy shop in all weather.

The final complication is that I even wondered about trading in this copier but it's probably too low-end for a business copier shop to be interested in and I wouldn't be in the market for a larger one. I should just let go, shouldn't I. :rip:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tyraelx

Tyraelx

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Since you have a possible use for it, you should replace the broken part and keep it in your storage. But it's ultimately your decision

#3 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Do you know if a copier shop will just replace that part including labor charges, if you request it? In other words, will they give me the "How do you know it's that part?" runaround or not? If they think the copier needs a complete checkup that'd probably be $$$. But if they could just look at a parts list, open the copier, pop the replacement part in . . . it might be worth it? Another thing I thought of was that I need to look at the copier and see if it's USB compatible, because if it is, it'd be worth getting it fixed and using it as a laser printer. My current Samsung one is running out of toner and, you know how toner costs as much as a printer. But the Canon copier has plenty of toner, I think. If sitting in my van in all weather hasn't fused it into a lump . . . sheesh, who knows. :rolleyes:

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:48 AM

If you rx'd this copier "a few years back", then the toner (or ink) in that copier is almost certainly worthless.

P.S. If you're having trouble affording toner/ink, then it may be time to get out of the game and just let a print shop do what you need.

#5 johnnywest11

johnnywest11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

If you really think as you said, that a copy machine is much needed part of your life. Then i guess you must get it repair and all according to me, it won't cost much. It will easily fits in your budget. You can contact a Copier repair company if you want to get idea on expense, time etc.

Edited by johnnywest11, 21 October 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Unfortunately, you'd have to pre-soak it to use it for a boat anchor as it wouldn't sink right away.  The units can be hard to find parts for but a check with local surplus dealers may reveal a source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users