Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell keyboard not working after hard drive and Windows 7 installation?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

I carried out a hard drive replacement on my Dell N5110 Laptop. I have now installed the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows 7. The problem that I have now is that the keypad is not at all functioning. I also went out and bought a replacement keypad but again still is not functioning. Would you know what could be the problem. I have checked over and over again the keyboard connection on to the motherboard and it clicks in place but not functional at all. Both keyboards are unresponsive.

Thanks in advance :thumbup2: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

Is it possible to access the BIOS settings by tapping F1 at boot and use the keyboard. If the keyboard does not work in BIOS then I would say it is a hardware problem, possibly motherboard related.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wired or wireless?

USB or PS2 (most likely USB)

Like the other person said, in BIOS/POST does it respond?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

Keyboard is wired. In the BIOS section, up/down left/right, y/n shift buttons work.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

When you get to the Windows login screen, does the mouse work?

#6 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

The touchpad only works but not keyboard. It's a dell laptop and not PC 😄

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

So it works in BIOS. Okay that tells you from a hardware stand point it's working.

The next question, when you get to Windows and you say the keyboard and mouse aren't working; are you at the login screen or the desktop itself? I have seen where the computer was stuck on finding hardware and that screwed up the mouse and keyboard. Rare but seen it.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#8 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

No, no login in screen. Windows boots and goes straight into desktop with out the need of selecting user and entering password. Could it be that I may need to install keyboard driver?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Go here and download the following. Select your OS in the dropdown box. The drivers will be under the Chipset category. Install each one in the following order. Reboot after each install.

Intel HM67 Express Chipset Family Driver

Wistron USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

Realtek RTS5138 Card Reader Driver

#10 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

JohnC_21, I have downloaded and installed the drivers. Installed each driver in the order stated and rebooted after each install. I can confirm that the touchpad works but not the keyboard :angry:

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? I am at a loss as to why the keyboard fails in Windows after a clean install, especially since you have installed the chipset driver and USB drivers.

#12 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Currently its only showing an exclamation mark on Ethernet Controller under Other devices. Is the issue related to software or with hardware?

Edited by smithcraig, 21 October 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

You can narrow it down to a software or hardware problem by booting a small linux distro like Puppy but I would have to think it's some kind of software issue if it works in BIOS but not Windows. You can burn the iso on a Windows 7 computer and selecting Burn Image. If you can access the keyboard after booting to the Puppy desktop and typing something in Terminal or the editor then it would be something happening in Windows after boot.

#14 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

You can narrow it down to a software or hardware problem by booting a small linux distro like Puppy but I would have to think it's some kind of software issue if it works in BIOS but not Windows. You can burn the iso on a Windows 7 computer and selecting Burn Image. If you can access the keyboard after booting to the Puppy desktop and typing something in Terminal or the editor then it would be something happening in Windows after boot.

Just remembered I need to activate Windows 7. It says that laptop had 3 days to activate Windows. Could this be the problem? Its a Windows 7 laptop and I installed a fresh copy of windows but the product license key underneath the battery is not being accepted by Windows? :nono:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

Having Windows 7 not activated should not affect the keyboard as far as I know. You can't activate a computer anymore using the COA sticker on the back of the computer. You have to do it via phone activation. It would help if you could get ahold of a real person also. I posted on installing Windows on an OEM computer in another thread. It concerned Vista but the same holds true for Windows 7. If your install disk was not provided by Dell but a standard Windows Install disk without the needed certificate, then you need to activate by using the phone method.

The product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to an OEM assembled is sometimes said to suffice, but this is not necessarily the case. On February 28, 2005,[1] Microsoft attempted to reduce software piracy by invalidating those keys for normal activation, but this does not apply to SLP. If the COA product key is lost, then product key finders, readily available on the Internet, can decrypt the key from a local installation. Keys from either source (see below) will allow the user to avoid activation upon re-installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users