Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I adjust cpu fan speed in bios?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ironjack

ironjack

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Hope I make sense. Speccy info follows my explanation.I am working on an old computer as a learning tool. It still has valuable info on hard drive. At start up,it tells me to go to bios and fix cpu speed.Hard drive and motherboard are running a bit too warm as wellI. Is it possible to correct cpu and fan speed in bios?

I am a rookie at this. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hOqE40gHu4aOWc312J6DOZe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hi,

Please visit...
http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax

Enter your motherboard model and download the manual in your choice of language.

You are looking for the Hardware Monitor section of the BIOS setup program for explanations of settings for the following...

1. Q-Fan Control
2. Fan Speed Ratio
3. Speed Up/Down Response Time

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

^ That covers the fan speed.  I see from Speccy that your CPU is set to run at 1100 mhz (11 x 100).  I suspect this is probably a default value until the CPU speed is correctly set.  None of them run this slow by design.  Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what AMD Barton chip you have.  At a guess, it's either going to be the XP2500+ (166mhz x 11) or the XP3200+ (200mhz x 11).  The manual should guide you how to set the CPU speed properly (it's in Advanced Chipset Features in BIOS).  Basically, as these processors are multiplier locked (unless modified), you will just have to change the CPU external speed from the 100mhz it's currently set at.  The setting would be 166mhz for the XP2500+ or 200mhz for the XP3200+.  Both chips run at 1.65v.

As to why it's in a default state, is it keeping time and settings when powered off?  If not or if you haven't done already, I would suggest changing the BIOS battery.

There is a mix of RAM with different speed ratings and different manufacturers installed in each of the RAM slots.  This might be a cause of instability.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 October 2014 - 09:41 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thank you both, gentlemen!! I will apply and report back.  :smash:

:) IJ

#5 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

old rocker and jonuk76...Thanks,Very educational. The machine is better. I think I'll quit "tinkering" and buy a more modern system.

IJ

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

Better to tinker and learn from/with the old and apply what we learn to the new!

That old adage You can't teach an old dog new tricks is a bunch of baloney. I learn something new Everyday!

Never stop learning, and each day, look back and see what you've learned that day. If you come up blank, look a little harder, you'll be surprised what you find.

Rock On My Friend! :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users