Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinkpad X240 or Thinkpad X230? Which one to for?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hello there, I just wanted to ask your opinions on which Lenovo Thinkpad X series to go for. I find it strange to think that the Lenovo Thinkpad X230 takes a maximum memory of 16GB and the Lenovo Thinkpad X240 takes a maximum memory of 8GB. Why is this?

Lenovo Thinkpad X240 is the most current and the latest model on the Thinkpad X series at the moment. TheThinkpad X230 has a fingerprint reader near the touch pad and not on the Thinkpad X240? Out of the two models, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2014 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

I cannot recommend either one without seeing them configured, however I can explain your other questions.

The x240 only supports 8 gigs of ram whereas the x230 supports 16 because the 230 can fit 2 sticks of ram and the 240 only can take 1, probably to save space for other components or to make it lighter/thinner.

The older model probably has the fingerprint sensor and not the new model because it cost more to add it than they profited from the feature.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

As said we'd have to see the configurations.  But, the 230 seems to have more features.  If it cost less, all other things being equal, I would go with it.  If it cost more and all other things being equal, are you going to put 16GB of RAM in and use the finger print reader?  8GB of RAM is fine for most people and I've seen very few people use the finger print reader.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users