Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i think a thread should be started

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ok, so recently we have been reminded by events (several different types of severe crashes caused in august by dodgy updates, and sneaky attempts by microsoft to push 8.1 upgrades) that updates, critical as some of them may be, shouldn't be blindly and instantly installed. Maybe a thread should be set up for users to report crashes, failure of third party software programs, badly done coding, new features, sneaky tactics, blue screens of death, and other issues caused by particular updates. A list of WHICH did WHAT, because micorsoft's own descriptions can be so cryptic.

I think it might be a good idea for a thread on this subject to be setup as one of the "important" "pinned" threads, because it is really hard to find reliable information and reports on whether recent updates may have bugs in them or cause other problems. I tried posting one but i doubt anyone looked at it and i had to put it into the windows 8 forum so it wouldn't be seen by all the people who would need it either. A source of information on this that was independent of microsoft, collected loads of peoples findings, presented it in a clear way and could keep up to date with the updates it was describing could be immensely helpful, would be very popular and could be something unique that this site could offer. Another thing that could make this site stand out as a source of technical knowledge,advice and support.

Edited by rp88, 15 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

This was posted here as news Microsoft ships replacement patch KB2993651 with known bugs (ErrorCode 80246002)

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

That is for an old bug, i am suggesting a thread being up to date with problems as they happen. A place where anyone experiencing them can quickly and easily report them so others know as fast as possible. This type of thread i am suggesting could have meant that that bug was known about even earlier, and not so mnay people would have suffered it. If you remember when it happened microsoft never really gave a clear "you should Z" but instead flipped there advice between uninstalling it, doing nothing and reinstalling a new one over it. This type of thread could report updates which attmpt to force the 8.1 upgrade too, because microsoft themselves would never say which updates dd that. This type of thread could also give clear explanations as to what the actual purpose of an update is and what it does, microsoft just likes to say that something is "an update to fix known issues" without ever saying what issues and what fixes, or even more insultingly just guides users to a very generalised page saying they should do updates automatically but never says what an individual update is doing.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users