Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

comptia a+ or mcsa?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jamesread87

jamesread87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi there, a bit of background about myself.

I am a PC support technician looking after about 150 computers. I worked in a different department at the company and due to a a vacancy I have moved in to it department. I don't have any IT qualifications but do have a small amount of experience as I used to work in the IT department about 6 years ago. What I am after is some guidance on whether I should do the comptia a+ qualification or go down the mcsa route? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated.
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

The Comptia A+ is a good place to start. Good luck!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

A+ to start because it is only two test and normally you take them both the same day.  The MCSA is a long term goal.  In reality certification will only help you find a new job, or possibly get promoted in your current position.  The Microsoft exams have very little to do with how companies actually use the products.  If you get the certifications and aren't doing the work you're going to lose the knowledge you gain.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hi there, a bit of background about myself.

I am a PC support technician looking after about 150 computers. I worked in a different department at the company and due to a a vacancy I have moved in to it department. I don't have any IT qualifications but do have a small amount of experience as I used to work in the IT department about 6 years ago. What I am after is some guidance on whether I should do the comptia a+ qualification or go down the mcsa route? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated.
James

I haven't taken the test since 1998 but A+ I would do first for it's a prerequiset for many IT jobs.

I would then do the Network + and maybe the Security +

After that I would do the Microsoft exams. I would study for a test that you are most familiar. So if you are primarily working on (Windows 7, 8, etc.) The reason is first you get one test under your belt and that automatically makes you a MCP (unless their rules changed for that).

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

MCP is no longer available, MTA is the lowest number of tests you need to take to get a Microsoft Certification.  MCP is now an umbrella that everything else falls into.

I agree that A+, Network+, and maybe Security+ is a good order to start with to get into the IT field.  The CompTIA certificates are not as good as they used to be, due to the need to re-certify.  However, hopefully you won't need to re-certify as you will be working in the field and the certification won't be as important as the experience you've gained..

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

I don't see a need for a person to re-certify once they been hired UNLESS they took a job as an A+ instructor which I was considering till I say the pay rate: no thank you! Short of that, IMHO if you tell someone you taken and past the A+ exam that usually is enough for them unless the certification is relevant to something entirely which I yet to see. It's similar to when jobs require someone to have a degree: they just want you to have one. 

Once you pass and get years under your belt, it's more about your years of experience than anything else. I have a degree and a long list of certs but it's my years of experience and years at once place that is my selling point.

Edited by Ivy74, 20 October 2014 - 11:15 AM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#7 Mickey93NSD

Mickey93NSD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

I'm looking into this at the moment as well. I think my current plan is to complete the COMPTIA A+ certification first then look into doing the Windows 8.1 MCSA.

After doing one of each certificate I will be able to make my decision whether to do more COMPTIA stuff such as Network+ and Security+ or to do more Microsoft certs like Server 2012 or MCSE.

But I'm starting with COMPTIA A+ for now... Take it one step at a time. Also I this the COMPTIA A+ will give you a good bit of knowledge for the MCSE but not so much the other way round. I may be wrong but that's my thoughts.

Hope I helped :thumbup2:

#8 Pir8King

Pir8King

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

What do you ultimately want to do? That should determine your direction. It has been in my experience Comp TIA and A+ are a waste of time. If you want to be a server admin i would specialize on your platform of choice. If you want to be more on the data communication side I would go with CCNA. If you want to do security I would also recomend CCNA and not Security+ (you need to know how everything communicates before you can defend it). This is just a loose opinion from someone who is about 5 years removed from school and just found a new job 6 months ago.

And Ivy74 is right, it is more about experience than anything.

#9 jamesread87

jamesread87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Many thanks for the responses. I'm going to do the comptia a+ while I'm getting the experience with my job. Once I have done that I will look at going from there most probably into networking. Thought its was best to get a qualification to back up the experience I'm gaining and to help give me confidence in what I'm talking about is right

#10 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Couldn't hurt to achieve it no matter what you do. JUST don't spend the 1000's that I hear people spending on a class. The most you should pay is over $100 if you want a decent practice test to use for studying which was my approach: Transcenders.

Testking I found a lot of the time most of their answers are wrong but that was when I was studying for some MS exam. But if you are going to sell a product at least you could do is make sure you are right on the info given.

***Note***

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Doing the job won't give you the experience you need to take the exams, you will need to study.  Additionally you will have to forget some of what you know when you take the exams.  The exam environment and the real world are two different places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users